We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
475 posts
75 reviews
Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

I am not sure if this is a valid question, or if it is even possible with how things are situated, but is it possible to find a resort that is as nice as some of these I am seeing near the Volcano, and still walk into "town" for restaurants/nightlife, or are these more set up to just stay put at these resorts. Sorry to sound ignorant, not sure what town I am even talking about, or if there is one. I see from reviews there are "restaurants around the corner" but to be honest I've researched so much I don't even know where I saw it. Do I need a car if we are probably doing mainly tours, and lastly, after Arenal I am headed to MA, would you suggest flying, driving or hiring a driver/shuttle? Thanks!

Puntarenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

OP, the town of La Fortuna is where you would probably want to be, and yes, the volcano can be seen from town depending on weather and time of day. There are a number of good restaurants in La Fortuna, and depending on your budget and type of food, you will probably find something to your taste. The closer to the volcano you get, the higher the daily rate, and the cost will also depend on time of year and availability. If the resort vacation is what you are going for, chances are there will be a top class restaurant on site, or depending on which resort you choose, you can probably go from one hotel restaurant to another cheaply by taxi, as I would not recommend walking the hiway at night. If you stay at a less expensive option in La Fortuna, again, a taxi is a best bet for safety.

As to getting to Manuel Antonio, there are a number of options from public bus, shared shuttle, rental car, private driver and even flying with Nature Air..so your budget and time should determine your choice.

What are your thoughts regarding these variables so far?

Have fun planning your trip.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 22:48
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

I agree with exbeachers remarks and his suggestion that you will need to take a taxi at night unless you're actually staying in the town of La Fortuna. Most hotels are not in town but strung out along a 10 mile road between town and the volcano. You can see a map with most hotel locations at www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm In my opinion you do not need a car in Arenal if you are there for only a few days and mostly doing tours. The car becomes advantageous if you pick remote lodgings, want to explore on your own, or have a large family group and are trying to save on transfer costs. I would just use cabs to go out to dinner and not worry about a car.

If you don't want a car in Arenal you certainly don't need a car in Manuel Antonio where finding a parking spot can be an issue whenever you go out. Taxis and buses are plentiful, cheap and easy to use.

If this is your first trip to Costa Rica I recommend hiring a private driver who can give you an introduction to the country and show you some interesting spots en route. A shuttle service like www.interbusonline.com is much less expensive than a private driver and will provided door to door service but only at set times. It's also a good choice if you are on a budget. For flights check out Nature Air's website as they are your only choice. Flights are Arenal/San Jose/ Quepos (for Manuel Antonio) and they're short flights but you need to add transfer time to/from the airports.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
268 reviews
3. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

Here's a good map of the area. There's basically one main road that winds around, and most hotels are scattered along it. I'd just pick the hotel that you want and then take taxis to restaurants if you don't want to drive. It's pretty easy for your hotel or restaurant to call a taxi for you. If you're comfortable driving, the roads are in pretty good shape in that area.

www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm

We usually book private drivers through our hotels when we book them. You can also take the Interbus shuttle, or drive yourself if you're comfortable.

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
475 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

Thanks all!! I appreciate it! I have a far better understanding now. I am looking for $300/night max for my husband and me. Will be there next february. If you feel like it throw a suggestion or two out. I have been researching and like what I see as far as CR goes. Can't wait! Thanks again.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53,021 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

Dear Becky!

Good budget...maybe Arenal Nayara...Lost Iguana...

High price but nice Tabacon Hot Springs Resort...KIORO...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
6. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

The Hotel Magic Mountain in Arenal is within walking distance from many restaurants in La Fortuna

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53,021 posts
119 reviews
7. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

Dear Becky..

You can also rent a small set of wheels...for about $ 56.00 a day incluiding basic insurance...you will even save money and time!

ALAMO rent a car right in town...get a Yaris and hit the road!

roadadvisor

Puntarenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

Becky, you might want to check out the Volcano Lodge tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309226-d310179… with great views of the volcano. I stayed with a business partner there and thoroughly enjoyed the clean room, hot shower and view of what was then a smoking Arenal. Yesterday, as my plane flew over Arenal, there was definite smoke..so you might even see a little lava when you arrive.

You will need wheels or use the local taxis to get around...an affordable alternative.

Have a great holiday.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
268 reviews
9. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

We love the Lost Iguana, but it's not within walking distance to any restaurants other than their own open air restaurant on site. We like being out by the lake and on the huge grounds with all the hiking trails, so we just taxi it when we want to go to restaurants. Usually runs between $12-17 one way depending on where we go. Don Rufino is a nice place to go.

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
475 posts
75 reviews
10. Re: Hotel within Walking Distance to Restaurants in Arenal

Great suggestions. Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...