We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS Questions 2012

Friendswood, TX
1 post
Save Topic
GPS Questions 2012

We are about to leave for CR and need a GPS. Earlier massages are very confusing as to renting and what maps to use. most are over 2 years old. I have a Garmin Nuvi, which I would like to use.

Is there anyone who has been to CR in the past 6 months and has good or bad experiences with their GPS. ?

Ultimately I'd like to know what maps to get.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS Questions 2012

Roadadvisor is a Destination Expert here on Trip Advisor and also a professional driver. Here is is recommendation from a recent post:

"Do not worry...you can even change the language at your GPS...most rent a cars will provide you a Garmin with sofware by NAVSATCR.com...incredible mapping of my country...I have had been driving with NAVSAT since day one...they are the best!"

When you do your search for GPS, you can order the search results by date so you can get the latest posts.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS Questions 2012

You can use your own Garmin but you need to purchase Costa Rica maps for it. Download the maps onto your computer and then upload them from there to your Garmin. Here is a link to those maps specifically for the Garmin Nuvi: http://garmin.cr/index.php?cPath=33

Enjoy!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS Questions 2012

I have a nuvi and navsat mapping and it works perfect, never got lost in 6000km of driving last year, pacific, central valley or carib coast. You have to spell the destination right for it to work though. Get the spelling wrong and it'll take you to the wrong place or will say "not found".

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS Questions 2012

We have a Nuvi that we bring that I downloaded the navsat maps on. Works great.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS Questions 2012

I have some nice old Garmin´s Nuvi...with www.navsatcr.com...mapping...they work incredible...

Sonny nice to know that last year you drove tat many miles...I hope this year is not going to be that many miles...just relax and enjoy a nice beach...your car will love you even more...I heard they saw you in a great British vehicle!!

roadadvisor

CALI
Level Contributor
475 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS Questions 2012

My car rental company wants $10/day to rent GPS. Anyone know of companies that rent gps's that are not car rental companies?

my hotel was of little help, they said rent with the car rental company

options are $10/day x 9 = $90 or 10 day map rental from NAVSATCR.com for $50

7. Re: GPS Questions 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2013, 10:32