We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano activity

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
41 posts
78 reviews
Volcano activity

Off to Costa Rica next month, very excited! Can anyone tell me whether the Volcano at Arenal is active at the moment, are we likely to see any lava?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, also are there any sloths in the Arenal/Monteverde areas, I am sure there are but are we likely to be able to see any?

Norfolk Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Volcano activity

Here is a live cam for Arenal volcano, I am not sure if the date on tha camera is just off or if it is really live. …una.ac.cr/vulcanologia/videoarenal.html

There are sloths in Monteverde cloud forest but very hard to pick out, if you hire a guide, which is highly recomended, you will have a better chance of seeing one.

Buenas

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
41 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Volcano activity

Thanks for the link and information, will defintely arrange a guide.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
3. Re: Volcano activity

I live in La Fortuna near Volcano Arenal and it's been quiet for many months although it's not dormant so who knows when it will "wake up" again! When it's clear, you can still see the hot steam rising out of the volcano which is very cool! We went zip lining the other day which is at the base of the volcano and let me say that if it were erupting when we were ziplining...I would have been pretty freaked out!

Yes there are sloths ALL OVER this area! I was driving to town just 2 days ago and saw one hanging on a tree. That said, you really do need a guide to point it out for you...I've just gotten good at spotting them because I live here and am always looking out for them (and know which trees they like to eat in). Have fun!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Volcano activity

We were there a week ago. No lava flow, but if it's clear, you can see the steam/gas coming out of the cone.

At Monteverde, I came out of our lodge room and looked up the tree in the front since I heard some parrots, I saw a furry ball which was a sloth :)

So they do live there.

Just when you are hiking/walking around, keep an eye up the trees.

We saw a couple of them at Manuel Antonio.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,678 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Volcano activity

I drive there maybe 3 times a week...last week was so nice...but so sad no lava...but Arenal is great even without lava!

roadadvisor

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
263 reviews
6. Re: Volcano activity

No lava, but we've seen sloths in both areas. In the reserve at Monteverde, on our Hidden Valley night hike, on the Penas Blancas river float, and on our Cano Negro tour. Sometimes they're hard to spot though because they can just look like a ball of fur high up in a tree. Nice to have a good guide to help you find them. Desafo and Sunset Tours both have good guides.

7. Re: Volcano activity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 10:46