We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kolbi Ice Sim

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
256 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Kolbi Ice Sim

Just wondering how good the service is for calls and 3g around Arenal and MA is? Also wondering how readily available recharge cards are in the Arenal / La Fortuna area. Does anyone have the instructions in English of what numbers to dial/text to check remaining credit and instructions of how to recharge the sim card once buying a recharge card.

Apparently for about $5 you can send a text message to the number 6060 with the word in Spanish semana (week). Almost immediately you will get a text message back, in Spanish, stating you have internet for seven days. And that the data is unlimited for those seven days. Can anyone verify that the data is truly unlimited for those 7 days?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kolbi Ice Sim

The 3g signal is good in Arenal, but poor in Manuel Antonio. The closer you get to the beach area in MA, the less signal you will have. It improves as you approach Quepos. You can buy recharge cards in most stores, so no worries there.

If you buy online, you can copy and paste anything into http://translate.google.com/# and it will automatically translate for you.

Not sure on the other questions, but if you look on the sidebar to the right you will see top questions about CR. Under that you will see a link to a page that provides more information on this topic.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 01:24
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kolbi Ice Sim

Re Manuel Antonio. My phone is GSM only and asexplorinCA says, on that the signal basically stops once you pass Sancho's restaurant. However, in the past year the yhave built some new towers which I think are 3G and I have heard there is now better reception in areas closer to the beach. And we have seen people at the beach now using their phones. Hopefully someone who actually has a 3G will update.

As for the data, I haven't tried it but I assume it will work as long as your phone is configured properly. I think at the airport, they will help you with your phone and I know they did have little pamphlets about the data.

Thre are lots of placs that will recharge your phone for you - recarga automatica - you pay, give them the phone number and they put it into a computer and presto....

Number to check your balance 1150. There is an option for English. Also if you send a text to 1150 the send you back a text with your balance (no charge for theses texts)

raquel

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kolbi Ice Sim

I have a 3g iphone and have been to MA as recently as 3 weeks ago. The signal is still intermittent going down to the beach. I actually had to drive back up the hill to Super Joseth to call my wife. While the signal is a little better than the old GSMs, it is still bad down there.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kolbi Ice Sim

Thanks explorinCA. Maybe now I will wait a while before I replace my phone. :)

pura vida

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kolbi Ice Sim

It's still probably worth changing as the signal in rest of the country has improved significantly. That said, it's kind of nice losing signal down there as it allows you to relax and enjoy.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
256 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kolbi Ice Sim

My wife and I just got back from an 11-day trip to Costa Rica. We had received our Kolbi sim cards before heading down there. I had called Verizon ahead of time to get her iphone 4s unlocked before heading down there. The unlock wasn't activated until arriving into the country. I have a HTC Droid Incredible 2 and unlocked it on my own beforehand. The phone and texting worked fine on both of our phones. The 3g worked on my wife's iphone, but never did work on my Incredible 2. The signal was good all over on our trip.

7. Re: Kolbi Ice Sim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...