We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do around La Fortuna

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do around La Fortuna

Hello fellow travelers. I will be in CR next week (part fun/part Business). Will have 2 full days at La Fortuna. Planning on Sky Tram/Sky Trek (Tue am). Hike national park (Tue pm).

Can't do the canyon thing, horse back riding or white water rafting due to back problems. Any suggestions for Wednesday?

Another question... Is it worth it to go to Puerto Viejo Serapiqui on Thursday? Would like to hike La Selva.

Have to be in SJO Friday for business.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do around La Fortuna

I would suggest the Arenal Hanging Bridges hike, or the Peñas Blancas river float, there is also a full day tour to Caño Negro (Or Rio Frio) by boat which is great for nature observation. I think La Selva would be a great hiking experience for Thursday.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do around La Fortuna

Are you doing the zipline at Sky Trek? If so, I got jarred very hard zipping there, so hard I got bruises although we loved doing it. Just a heads up if you have back problems. We also love the waterfall hike, and you can swim in the river there - very pretty. The natural hot springs are pretty great too - Eco Termales and Tabacon are the ones we like. Also like the Proyecto Asis animal rescue center - we got to feed monkeys, macaws, and a sloth there and get very close to the wildlife which was a neat experience. We love Cano Negro, but the road to get there might be rough on your back as well. The Hanging Bridges is a nice hike as well.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do around La Fortuna

The others gave some good suggestions. You could also go to Arenal Natura if you want to stay local and observe willdife: www.arenalnatura.com. Fun place with plenty of animals. With back problems, a trip to the hot springs sounds like it is just what the doctor ordered.

People come from all over the world to research at La Selva, so it should be worth it. If you decide to go, wildlife observation is best early in the morning.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do around La Fortuna

The best you can do once you are in la Fortuna is in case your driving heading Arenal volcano National Park. Once you are there requesting a guide at the main entrance will give you the chance to see some wildlife, taking into account the volcano is not active anymore. It means you will not see red hot lave like in the past . In case you go on your own you will not see much. These people are experts identifying places where animals are since they really know the area. We were there and recommended them to some friends who were staying at the same hotel where we did. They told us they had a very good experience with these guides. Same thing we experienced. You can look for Eduardo, Laura, Seidy, Eli or Sander. They guide in English, French and Spanish. They are just so honest people. They charge you a reasonable price and are able to go the neccesary time with you on the tour so to see more. There are snakes with a perfect camouflage you won´t ever see if you go on your own. They know names of plants, birds, insects and besides this once you have finished are able to give you some tips about good things to do in the area or places to stay where friendly, honest people they know will give you the best assistance.

I recommed to bring sneakers, bugs spray, binoculars, ponchos for the rain with you for this tours.

5. Re: Things to do around La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:17