We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

your feedback on itinerary please

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
your feedback on itinerary please

Hi, we're a family of 5 - would you change anything about this itinerary?

8 nights Santa Teresa (can't change- family reunion)

3 nights (or 2) Rafiki Safari lodge (one day river raft, one full day hiking)

4 nights Lost Iguana Lodge (one day river celeste, one day proyecto asis/hanging bridge, one day tubing or canyoning and hot springs)

4 nights monteverde (el establo or hotel belmar) OR should we spend the last night at Xandari or Marriott San Jose??? (my kids love pools)

thanks for comments!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: your feedback on itinerary please

Nothing to add, good amount of time at each location. Yes, you should drop one day in Monteverde and allow your kids some relaxation.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: your feedback on itinerary please

Is there any specific schedule you have to stick to? Are you going to Santa Teresa first? or last? or in the middle?

The only suggestion I can make is that you either begin with Rafiki, then go to Santa Teresa, Monteverde then Arenal (Lost Iguana) and end the trip with your last night at Xandari. Or do the complete opposite, ending your trip at Xandari.

Either way, you are not driving routes you have already been on and you are making a bit more of a circle route (except for the Rafiki route where I suspect you would drive via Quepos rather than driving to San Isidro de General....which you could do as well if you wanted to take your time and see a bit more of the country and not have to retrace your steps).

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: your feedback on itinerary please

Thanks. I' m stuck going to santa teresa first. Im just wondering of there is something to see between Quepos (rafiki) and arenal for one night- if we only want to spend 2 nights at rafiki

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,448 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: your feedback on itinerary please

Nice itinerary...some serious driving...but wonderfull...great rides...

Buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Note: Please check...tires...tools...water and brake fluid...and any small crack at any window or windshield..sorry is better for you...

roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: your feedback on itinerary please

Between Refiki and Arenal, you could stop at the Puma refuge and check out the wild cats, then, since your kids like pools, you could spend the night up at Miravalles at Yoko Thermales (has a number of pools to choose from and a slide)....the pools are warm water (one very large hot tub!) The water is piped in from the nearby volcano. Then the next day, you can make the drive around Lake Arenal at your leisure.

Personally, I would go from Rafiki, up to Monteverde, then on to Arenal before heading back to fly out, the flow of the route makes more sense. If you go to Arenal after Rafiki, then back to Monteverde before heading back to fly out, you will be driving all over the map! You can still stop at the cat refuge and go to Yoko Thermales after Monteverde, before heading to Arenal.

Or you can stay near the cat refuge at Hotel la Pacifica and do a rafting tour (all these are near each other).

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: your feedback on itinerary please

Thank you. You have given me an idea. We also wanted to hike to the rio celeste waterfall. Is there a hotel near the waterfall where we could spend the night after driving up route 1 from rafiki? I took a quick look at google maps. Does the hike to the waterfall start from route 6 or 142?

7. Re: your feedback on itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:48
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...