We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

Ulster County, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

We were planning to go to Arenal, but have learned that the volcano has been in "resting phase" since late 2010. What does this mean, in terms of what there is to see? I know there is a solid tourist infrastructure at Arenal, so excursions would be abundant, no matter what the volcano does. But, we are now thinking of going to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano instead, to really experience an active volcano. The only problem is that it seems that by doing Rincon instead of Arenal, we would miss Monteverde. Recommendations and info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

Though you are correct on the "resting Phase" of Arenal Volcano, its views are still majestic, if weather permits it. The whole area is truly magical and there are many activities to do and sights to see, i still believe it to be one of the premiere spots to visit while in Costa Rica.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

I agree with everything Cubanon wrote. The volcano is still mesmerizing whether it is erupting or not and the hot springs are still flowing. The tourist infrastructure is unsurpassed and the area is absolutely beautiful.

While I really like Rincon de la Vieja, it is not erupting with lava. At the moment, there are no volcanoes in CR spewing lava. Of course, that could change at any moment.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

But remember if you going to rincon de la vieja and if is cloudy the park rangers won´t allow you to go to the top and you won´t see anything too, except the bubbling mud pools, but skipping Arenal volcano and monteverde just for Rincon de la vieja I think is not a good option. There are many more activities in this two beautiful spots more than only Rincon and if you hire a transportation you can do a day trip to Rincon from Arenal.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

I agree with the two prior answers...Arenal still a great place...a lot of nice soft adventure tours...

roadadvisor

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

We love the Arenal area. I wouldn't skip it just because there's no current lava flow. Like everyone else said, it's beautiful and there's tons to see and do in terms of both nature and adventure activities.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

While Rincon has it's own charm, there is nothing like the spectacular, perfect cone shape of Arenal volcano! You won't see that anywhere else in CR.

7. Re: Question about Arenal Volcano in "resting phase"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...