We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica

NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica

Hi,

I will be going to Costa rica for 17 wonderful days. Am wondering if what i have in mind will work.

One whole week for ther North - Arenal (2 days), la fortuna (2 days), manuel antonio (2 days) (not sure which will be a good base) 1 day to rest or take a hike near my stay

Another week for

South- Drake, Puerto Jimenez,

and two days for anything that pops up

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica

Arenal and La Fortuna are in the same area. I would suggest 3 nights in Arenal, and 3 or 4 in Manuel Antonio, after the south you might want to spend a couple of nights in the Cloud Forest Area at San Gerardo de Dota.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 20:03
NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica

Where is San Gerardo de Dota?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica

It is in the south but not so far away, approx a 2 hour drive from San Jose, so after you visit the rest of the South (Drake etc) you might want to spend your final nights in San Gerardo and be a lot closer to the San Jose airport. A couple of hotels in the San Gerardo de Dota Area are the Trogon Lodge and the Savegre Lodge.

NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica

Oh NICE !!! Am actually cutting and pasting as much information as i can and try to make it into a schedule so i can make head from tail. will post it tomorrow. Thank you for your help

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica

From Manuel Antonio to Drakes bay around 4 to 5 hours...I know that since I drive about once a month to that area to work on my farm around there...also depends how the weather is...tricky road from Rincon to Drake..

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica

I think Mike has it sewn up! Have a great trip! With 17 days, you should be able to cover all your locations without feeling like you need a vacation to recover at the end of it. Do send a trip report, I`d love to read about how this all pans out!

NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica

Question, Ok so my fly lands at midnight (made a mistake, and didn't realize that it was 12AM and not PM). My option are, rent a room @ san jose for a few hours before heading to Dominical (which am using as my homebase while taking day trips to the Osa and south area). Or is there a shuttle or bus that can take me to Dominical.

And any good hotels in dominical? am traveling with a 13yrs old girl, and i need to make sure she's good

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica

I would stay in a hotel close to the Airport and go to Dominical the following day. One hotel that is not expensive and close to the airport os the Hotel Aeropuerto in Alajuela, they give you a free transfer from the airport and their rate includes breakfast. A nice hotel in Dominical not so expensive is Villas Rio Mar, they have several types of rooms. You can take a shuttle with Interbus the following day

Edited: 23 August 2012, 18:42
NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rica

So, i wanted to share my Trip ideas, Sure am bitting more than some people can chew, but i will make the best of it.

Arrival: Midnight Land @ San Jose

Day 1: -Head to homebase DOMINICAL

Day 2: - Day trip to corcovado national park

Day 3 - Day trip to Kayak Dominical w/ Pineapple Kayak Tours

Day 4: Whales and Dolphing tours

Day 5: White water rafting

Day 6: . . . .

Day 7

Day 8: Head to the north

Monte Verde à Arenalà La fortuna

Day 9 – Zip lines

Day 10: day trip to Monte Verde

Day 11-13: Arenal

Day 14- 15 La Fortuna

Day 16- San Gerardo de Dota

Day 17: Head to SJ before departure- Hang around the area for a few hours before my fly

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Rica

Take out San Gerardo de Dota is it just too far away from La Fortuna. Instead after Manuel Antonio spend a couple of nights at Montverde which is also a cloud forest area and then finish in Arenal (Arenal and La Fortuna is the same area).

Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...