We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Arenal - Ideas for day trips?

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
210 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Arenal - Ideas for day trips?

I am planning to stay around Arenal for 5 nights. A couple of years ago I stayed 3 nights here and did Tabacon, Rafting, Hiking all around a relatively small area. Is there something close like 1-2 hours of driving away that I can do for a day?

Tamarindo/Monteverde is a bit too far for driving and I am looking for new ideas.

So far I am planning to do:

Day1: Tabacon

Day2: Hiking around the volcano/waterfall

Day3: River Rafting

Day4: Beach??

Day5: Zip-lining maybe ?

Edited: 11 September 2012, 18:03
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Arenal - Ideas for day trips?

There are several different ziplines in Arenal: The one at Arenal Paraiso, Sky Trek, Ecoglide, there is also one at the Montana de Fuego Hotel. For rafting there are options closeby La Balsa River or El Toro River. I am afraid the closest beach is approx 4 hours away so I would take it out of your list. You can also find hanging bridges in Arenal, the safari float at the Penas Blancas River and the full day boat tour to Cano Negro great for birding and wildlife

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Arenal - Ideas for day trips?

Great and every body love it...Proyecto Asis very nice tour you can even take a taxi is around Javillos...check the web site...

For zip lines the best Sky Treck very proffesional...El Toro river some times not the best...since is pig farm close to the put in and some times can be smelly...ask firt to the rafting company and see if the day you are planning the trip they are cleaning at the pig farm!

Of course Caño Negro is one of the best wildlife tours in the country!

You will love Tabacon Hot Springs...lovely place!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Arenal - Ideas for day trips?

Ask your hotel about kayaking and a picnic on Lake Arenal. Not far away, and some great photo ops when you are out on the lake. I also think MikeA943 has made some good suggestions, including Cano Negro.

Have a great holiday.

Level Contributor
246 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Arenal - Ideas for day trips?

I did the Waterfall Rappelling when I was in Arenal, as well as the Rio Celeste hike - both great day trips.

5. Re: 5 nights in Arenal - Ideas for day trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2013, 10:15