We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monteverde day trip

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
monteverde day trip

I booked three days at the Arenal Observatory May 1-3. After that we are driving down to Dominical for the next 7 days.

I must find a way to see Monteverde (specifically hummingbird garden). We are able to devote the majority of the day there.

Is it possible to stop there on the ay down to Dominical and have enough time to make the rest of the trip in daylight?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: monteverde day trip

No, it is not possible to go to Monteverde, participate in an activity and then continue down to Dominical within daylight hours. Of course, it is possible if you are willing to drive many hours and some at night, but not recommended. Why not just cut a night or two off Dominical?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monteverde day trip

Personally I wouldn't go to Monteverde unless I could spend two nights. It's a long bumpy road to get there. I wouldn't want to get there and then turn around and have to come back. I agree with explorin and would cut two nights from Dominical if you can.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monteverde day trip

The best is to stay overnight...way to much time driving...SORRY!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: monteverde day trip

My question is why are you driving all the way to Monteverde to see hummingbirds? I love hummingbirds but have found them in abunbdance throughout Costa Rica. As an alternative you could consider visiting San Gerardo de Dota on the way back from Dominical to San Jose. This is also cloud forest territory and the lodges put out feeders that attract humminbirds. …usatoday.com/costa-rica-hummingbird-tours-1…

Or you could search out hummingbirds at the beginning of your trip before driving to Arenal from SJO. They are plentiful at Poas and there is a hummingbird garden at LaPaz Waterfall.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 22:41
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: monteverde day trip

fran has a good point. At the La Paz Waterfall Gardens they have about 25 varieties of hummingbirds in their hummingbird garden. You can even hand feed them at certain times of day.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: monteverde day trip

Yeah, day trip to Monteverde is a terrible idea. 7 days in Dominical is probably too many. Cut two nights off there, and spend them in Monteverde. Plenty of other things to do there as well.

Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: monteverde day trip

thanks for the input. I have a house booked in Dominical for the week in order to get a good rate. Dominical is meant to be a good starting place to go south or into the mountains. We do plan a trip one day into San Gerardo do Dota. I am glad to read that humingbirds are plentiful in other places. I'll look into La Paz Waterfall and Poas on day one coming up from the airport.

I guess we will save Monteverde for another trip!

Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: monteverde day trip

WOW, I looked up the Peace Lodge and La Paz Waterfall garden and its looking like a great experience to start off our trip. I think we will leave the airport and go there and then drive to Arenal.

9. Re: monteverde day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 10:18