We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about when to visit....

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about when to visit....

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Costa Rica. We will be going for 7 days and want to divide that time between Arenal (adventure) and a beach. We will be spending 4-5 days in Arenal and 2-3 days in Tamarindo (or another beach area that offers surfing - still need to domore research on it). I have searched the forum and a few sites and am confused about which month to go. We can go between May and December. We want to do some rafting, ziplining, hikes, hot springs, surfing, and maybe a few other activities; basically one - two activities per day and we want to be able to enjoy all those in appropriate weather. Based on our Arenal and beach holiday, which month do you think will be most enjoyable?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,563 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about when to visit....

Probably July; the two months to avoid are September and October.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about when to visit....

I would go as late in November as you can, or early December. We are about to go down now as this is our favorite time of the year. The air is cooler and the rains have wound down, yet everything is green and lush.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about when to visit....

I'm with David W. That's the best time.

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about when to visit....

David W, what do you mean by 'air is cooler', do you mean that its cooler as in 20 degrees or cooler as in not unbearably humid?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,880 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about when to visit....

I would say July, we have whats called a little summer then, usually lasts 2 or 3 weeks of almost dry season weather. Also agree that late November early December is a good time to come. My favorite months of the year are May, June, July, August, November, December, January. The rest is either too wet or too dry IMO.

6. Re: Confused about when to visit....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 00:17