We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

My family (wife, 2 boys 14 and 18) are planning a trip to Arenal. We are planning on spending a day doing the zip line at Sky Trek. We are also thinking of doing a hanging bridge hike that same day. Would you recommend staying at Sky Adventures and doing their Sky Walk, or leaving there and then going on the Arenal Hanging Bridges? From a convenience and financial standpoint, staying at Sky Adventures makes sense especially given the fact that they include the guide in the price. But I don't know anything about the scenery and the hike. If the Arenal Hanging Bridges are more beautiful or otherwise better I will go there. Any thoughts? Thanks

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

I recently did the SkyTrek/Tram/Walk starting with their hanging bridges and then doing the zip line after. One of the best parts about doing the hanging bridges at Sky Trek is that we were the only people on the tour! I honestly think that the Arenal Hanging Bridges are better because there are several different routes you can take, there's a beautiful waterfall there and I've seen more there than at the Sky Trek hike. I've only done the Sky Trek hanging bridges once and the other Arenal Hanging Bridges several times so it may be an unfair comparison but I do think it's worth going to the 2 different locations. No matter which one you choose, you'll have a great time!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

I am returning to Costa Rica after having been there in the summer (lucky me) and had the same question of my travel contacts in Costa Rica. I did Hanging Bridges and thought it was fine, although I guarantee your boys will like ziplining a lot more. :)

Anyway, here is a cut-and-paste of my travel gals recommendation...and she lives and works in the Arenal area. Let me know if you want the referral...her company is great!

"Sky Adventures' tour is a good hour longer than the Arenal Hanging Bridges tour. There is more ground to cover, and the hike is a more challenging one. If you remember the Arenal Hanging Bridges experience, the majority of the hike is a fairly flat one (with some increased areas, although not overly challenging "hikes" with the exception of the steep incline required just after you pass the route to the waterfall on your left and make your way up to the long "waterfall bridge" that is at the top of the rainforest canopy. Alternatively, the Sky Walk bridges offers many more inclines and declines. It is by no means a difficult hike (children can do the our), however it is more challenging and "up and down" compared to the Arenal Hanging Bridges tour option. Other differences worth noting are that the Sky Walk bridges will be less busy (as they are the newer bridges, and since the Arenal Hanging Bridges are older they are much more popular and busier). The Sky Walk bridges also offer 2 waterfalls (the Arenal Hanging Bridges offer 1 waterfall), and although both offer a look-out point, we like the lookout ("mirador") better at the Sky Walk bridges. With the Arenal Hanging Bridges option, the highest lookout is on the waterfall bridge, which means you must stay on the bridge to view the lookout, and given that only a number of people can be on the bridge at any given time, you can sometimes feel a bit "rushed" to move along and let the people behind you enjoy the view. In contrast, the lookout offered via the Sky Walk bridges is not on a bridge - it is simply a lookout spot that you come to along the hike overlooking not only the rainforest canopy but also Arenal Lake. For technicalities between the two, the Arenal Hanging Bridges offers more bridges in total (as many of the bridges are not suspension bridges), the bridges span a maximum of 98 meters and offer a hike that is about 3km. In contrast, Sky Adventures' Sky Walk bridges offer less bridges in total spanning a maximum of 299 meters and offering a hike that is just over 3km. Overall, between the two, we honestly like and recommend both as neither provides a lack-luster experience (in our opinion). If we HAD to choose, we like the Sky Walk bridges for the additional "hiking" aspect, but many other companies will likely choose the Arenal Hanging Bridges to promote as that site is the reliable recommendation given its age. Also worth noting, for pricing, the cost of the entrance to the Sky Walk bridges is $22/person (plus $11/person for round-trip transport) and the cost of the entrance to the Arenal Hanging Bridges is $24/person (plus $14/person for round-trip transport)."

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

Jon, thanks for providing that very comprehensive review. That is very helpful. Like you, we will be there in the summer, June. I know it will rain while we are there but I am wondering how the rain affected your trip. Did it interfere with any of your activities?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

Jon, thanks for providing that very comprehensive review. That is very helpful. Like you, we will be there in the summer, June. I know it will rain while we are there but I am wondering how the rain affected your trip. Did it interfere with any of your activities?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

Hi Andy,

No worries. Glad to help. I was there in August. To be honest, it was cloudy most of the time and there were a few days with intermittent rain, but that shouldn't discourage you. It actually kept it a little cooler and less buggy. We had an unbelievable time and your kids are at a good age where this will be a really fun trip for all of you.

Again, the review was from the company that helped plan my itineray. I am going back in 9 days - I went with my kids the first time and my girlfried this time - and we are going back to Hanging Bridges because there is a little more hiking involved with the ziplines and Aventura Mundo, and we are doing both in one day. You will have fun at either one. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Unity, Maine
Level Contributor
833 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

Hi: we visited this past May; it was mostly clear in the morning and then would rain some in the afternoon, so we did our activities earlier.

Something to remember for any hiking in Costa Rica is good shoes and pants. On our walk along one of the hanging bridges we were going along (in tevas, shorts); two of us walked onto the bridge when the third commented on a small snake at the beginning of the bridge. The guide came back and looked - it was a poisonous snake two of us had walked past within 1-2 feet. He moved the snake but it was a bit scary to think that someone could have been hurt. I wished at that time that I was wearing the pants and boots the guide was wearing.

We went to SkyTrek and did the hike (2 hrs fast or 3 hrs slow) and it was very interesting and fun. I walk about 30-45 min daily and was a bit sore; my hubby doesn't walk much and was very sore afterwards; there is quite a bit of gradual up and downs; nothing overly exerting, but you'll feel it in your calves the next day.

We really enjoyed the hike, saw howler monkeys, turkeys, other birds, and the view along the way is amazing. We also did the zipline and my favorite part is the fact that you zip from one tower to the next (within the jungle), so no hiking up and down towers after our previous hike! If you can swing it, pay for the video camera in the helmet (I think it was $40). It's great to look at afterwards and you get a thumb drive with your video to show people the view, the zips and the fun experience.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like the Sky walk makes sense for us. Thanks for the help.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like the Sky walk makes sense for us. Thanks for the help.

9. Re: Sky Walk or Hanging Bridges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:15