We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting question

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Rafting question

We'll have a car so don't need transportation from our hotel, but many of the activities I've investigated offer only that option. For example, with rafting, do we have to go with a large group on a shuttle bus? Is there somewhere we can drive to that would set us off on a rafting trip with a guide? Joining other groups of people is fine, but I don't want to be on a bus stopping at hotel after hotel before getting to our destination. Also, is there somewhere on Lake Arenal that we can drive to and just rent a couple of kayaks for an hour or two? We'd certainly like to get out on the water in some form while in the area, but would like to do it in the most economical and time-conserving way possible (while staying safe, of course).

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting question

Organized tours include transportation - but - if you have your own car, email them for directions and a price without transportation. If they don't offer this, then go with someone else.

And yes, there is a place where you can rent kayaks for Lake Arenal. I think it's near the dam - but I just can't remember. Maybe Villa Hermosa will jump in - she lives in the area.

In the meantime, check with www.arenalkayaks.com

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting question

Hi Hattie...yes I'm here. :-) Yes you can just go to the Lake Arenal Dam and on the "other side" (coming from La Fortuna) there are always guys there that have kayaks for rent.

For the Rafting trip I'd suggest you just drive your car to the company's location, like Wave Expeditions, for example, they go pick up everybody, take them back to their HQ then do a orientation there. That will get you out of stopping at hotel/hotel/hotel. It can actually be quite fun in the bus with the guides and getting to know the people in your boat so that would be my recommendation. :-) The HQs are in the center of La Fortuna so it's an easy/quick trip and then you have the freedom to hang out in town after you get back. FYI I don't know any companies that will let you go directly to the put in point since you have to sign waivers, get the orientation, meet the guides, etc. Enjoy!!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting question

Well, couldn't you drive yourself to "HQ" and get the safety lectures, etc and then drive yourself to the "put in" point? This should be an option.

Although I agree with you, Wendy, that the ride from HQ to the put-in on the bus with your "compatriots" would be a good thing to do.

Mainly, in my reply, I was thinking of other tours.

NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting question

We drove ourselves to the Sarapiqui river for rafting with Wave Expeditions. They gave us a $5 discount per person. We met them at their office in La Fortuna after they picked up everyone at hotels so no need to drive from hotel to hotel. We followed their bus to the river. After the rafting, we drove straight down to San Jose so not having to drive back to La Fortuna saved us about an hour and a few bucks.

NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rafting question

We drove ourselves to the Sarapiqui river for rafting with Wave Expeditions. They gave us a $5 discount per person. We met them at their office in La Fortuna after they picked up everyone at hotels so no need to drive from hotel to hotel. We followed their bus to the river. After the rafting, we drove straight down to San Jose so not having to drive back to La Fortuna saved us about an hour and a few bucks.

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rafting question

I like the idea of following the bus to the river or at the very least meeting the bus at the HQ and only driving over to the river as a group. I just don't want to go from place to place to place on the bus - especially since we'll have a car at our disposal. Thanks.

7. Re: Rafting question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 05:17