We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Arenal?

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in Arenal?

How many days are advisable to stay in the Arenal area to experience it? Many thanks.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Arenal?

It really depends on what you'll be doing. We only had 3 full days there and really wish we would of had at least one more. There is so much to see and do.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Arenal?

Thanks Shawnag. We are splitting days between Arenal and Westin Conchal before we head home. How do you think we should split it up? We are 1st in Arenal and then in Westin. (I chose Westin because I hear they have one of the nicest beaches and we just wanted to relax. I am wondering, however, if I should go for a small place where we can have a beach to ourselves and access to restaurants nearby). I just don't know which one to chose and where to look. We can keep our rental car as well which would be a plus probably.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,388 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Arenal?

Very much depends on your interest. After returning from Osa, wildlife in Arenal will not be any more so interesting. And boat tour on Cano Negro similar, after a day in Tortuguero (see my comment on Tortuguero in your other thread). So outdoor activities like ziplining, canyoneering etc should be on your list, one activity per day, so calculate accordingly.

To put some more food for thoughts. As said, Arenal area will look similar to Osa, both nature and wildlife. What about going to Monteverde? Higher up the mountain, much cooler (and it will feel so good after Tortuguero and Osa), similar activities like in Arenal, plus more to chose from regarding walking/hiking? Personally I found Monteverde to be very appropriate place for a few days, to unwind down. And perfect before hitting the sea level again.

Mentioned in this post
Cano Negro
Cano Negro
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Arenal?

Will you have kids traveling with you? I know my two (15 & 11) were excited with the wildlife but after a few days were over it, lol. They really enjoyed zip lining and white water rafting. Our 3 days went like this:

Day 1. Hike in the morning, lunch, volunteer at Proyecto Asis, dinner

Day 2. Hike in the morning, lunch, hike again, dinner, hot springs & pool

Day 3. Hanging Bridges, Arenal National Park, dinner

I wish we would of had time to zip line in Arenal and take a trip up to Cano Negro or Rio Celeste but it just didn't happen this time. We ended up doing our zip lining and rafting in Manuel Antonio. Having a rental is so nice. We went to a different soda each night for dinner. As far as where to stay I try to base it on what we want out of it and if I feel we are going to the amenities that they offer. If you're going during low season the beach might not be a busy but if you're going during high season that might be something to think about .

Edited: 18 July 2013, 21:13
Mentioned in this post
Cano Negro
Cano Negro
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
5. Re: How many days in Arenal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:20