We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

SF, CA
Level Contributor
225 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

Just wondering if it is a bad idea to visit the hot springs during mid-day in April, i.e. will it be too hot with too much direct sunlight? We will be busy with activities during the mornings and I would prefer not to go at night since we have 2 young kids, but if the weather is too hot during the day, then we will go in the evening. Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

Good great question...for example...ECO TERMALES the Hot Springs are almost totally under huge trees...IMHO it is nice almost any time during the year ...and of course during the month...and day...

I remember when we were kids...maybe 40 years ago.. we used to spend long hours at the big hole at Eco Termales...was nothing there...just the old house belomgs to Hidalgos family...and even from a very long horse ride it was so nice to jump into the Springs...

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

I was in Arenal this past March. The weather was not what we expected. I had one jacket with me from traveling from Chicago and wore it often. It rained often and was cool in our experience. We went to Baldi hot springs one day in the earlier afternoon since the weather was pretty gloomy and it was perfect. So just depends on the weather.

SF, CA
Level Contributor
225 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

Good to know. I think I will book for early afternoon.Eco Termal was the place we were thinking of visiting, so the fact that there are shady trees is perfect. And I will be sure to bring at least one warmer jacket in case it's cooler during our visit. Thanks for the tips!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

You are WELCOME...yes maybe a light golf jacket will do it...

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

It's great to go in the afternoons. Many places have all different temperature of pools so even on a hot day, you should be able to find comfortable temperatures. ;-) You may also want to check out the hot springs at Hotel Los Lagos, depending on the age of your kids, there is a lot to do there: cool pools, slides, warm pools, butterfly enclosure, etc. Enjoy!

Edited: 08 October 2013, 20:55
SF, CA
Level Contributor
225 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

Thank you! I will definitely check it out.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

On a cloudy day it's fine, in the rain it's fun, on a sunny day early evening into the night is awesome.

8. Re: Is early to mid-afternoon a bad time to visit hot springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...