We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal awakening

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nebraska
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal awakening

This was posted on another thread "by the way Arenal Volcano just awoke from his nap"

Can anyone comment on this? The last I heard was that there was just some steam due to the rains. I hope it is true because we have seen it in the past with glowing boulders crashing down the sides and would like to again.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal awakening

Sorry, no lava or "glowing boulders." Just some steam and smoke. Apparently, scientists had noticed a bit more activity but someone jumped the gun and said "Arenal is awakening!" As of this afternoon, not true. Tomorrow? Who knows?

Edited: 26 October 2013, 22:56
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal awakening

i was in the park a few years ago, staring at the cerro and all we saw was steam and some boulders tumbling down, after an hour of roasting on the volcanic rock we threw in the towel and left. ten minutes later the thunder and explosions started when we were well and truly in the jungle and not able to see anything! that night we did get to see a very tiny very faint glimpse of lava flow and then it slowly went to sleep. if it comes to life fully i'll definitely make the 9 hour drive to see it!

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal awakening

Thanks Hattie. Sonny, I'm with you!

Muncy, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal awakening

I have a son who looks out his apt onto Arenal and as of today the only thing Arenal is doing is a little steam.....kinda bummed as Im going to be in La Fortuna next week and would love to see some lava flow as well

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal awakening

photollew - You'll get over that quickly when you arrive. The volcano remains an impressive backdrop for everything you do. The hot springs are still hot and there are more eco-tourism options here than anywhere else in the country.

Muncy, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arenal awakening

Ive been there before,its a LOVELY part of the country. The last time I was there sadly it was shrouded in clouds for all by about 10 min the entire week we were there....looking forward to returning next week. Its a great day that starts sipping a cup of coffee on the plaza with Arenal looming over the town....

7. Re: Arenal awakening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:22