We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

Hello!

I am planning a trip to Arenal and on one of the days I was planning to use Sky Adventures for the Sky Trek, Tram, and Walk package. However- I wanted to know if it was possible to do the SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide. Is there a way to find the suspension bridges without one? Is the experience not as good without a guide?

Thanks!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

I did part of the hike while the rest of my family was doing the zips....the trail is well marked. I went as far as the second bridge and turned around....I'm sure a guide could point out certain things, but it was enjoyable enough just going on my own.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

Are you talking about the Hanging Bridges? If so, I'd definitely recommend a guide -- I wouldn't have seen/noticed wildlife on my tour without one.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

I was thinking of doing the bridges referred to as "Sky Walk" that are apart of the Sky Adventures tour. I am pretty sure they are near Sky Trek but i could be wrong. These are separate from the hanging bridges- i heard they are a bit longer.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

What you refer as the sky walk, it starts where you buy the tix for the Sky Trek. The zips are up the steps from there. TBO, I didn't see much for wildlife in my 45 minute walk, except for a couple of lizards, that was about it.

Southampton
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

We did the Sky Walk with a guide as part of a combo tour including the Sky Tram and Sky Trek. You can definitely do the Sky Walk without a guide as we saw others on the trail without a guide. Also our guide was telling us about a girl who got lost when she went without a guide, not sure how she managed that as the trails are very easy to follow.

With a guide, we saw virtually zero wildlife, only a few birds which we spotted ourselved rather being pointed out by the guide. The guided tour felt a little scripted and the guide wasn't anywhere near as knowledgeable as professional guides we hired in other areas. We were in a largish group who were principally there for the ziplines and were more interested in chatting than viewing wildlife which is probaly why we saw so little.

I'd recommend doing the walk on your own if you want a chance of seeing wildlife.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

What are the trails labeled? And how would we know where to enter if we are doing the bridges without a guide?

South Florida...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

Large groups tend to send wildlife into hiding. Especially all the chatter. I've been to Skywalk a few times just with my wife & if you're quiet you'll see tons of wildlife.

-Randy

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

If seeing wildlife is your primary objective, I would skip the hanging bridges, and opt to hike the trails around the Arenal Observatory Lodge. You will see more wildlife there. If you just want to experience the hanging bridges, not a problem without a guide. The trails are well marked.

9. Re: SkyWalk suspension bridges without a guide/tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2015, 10:21