We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on one year anniversary vacation

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on one year anniversary vacation

My husband and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica in July for four nights for about $3000 including flight and hotel, not any food or beverage. We are staying at a hotel that is pretty nice, in the Arenal National Park area. Is this too much? Is four nights a good amount of time? I've been to Costa Rica before to study, but years ago when I was still in college. My husband has not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

Assuming that your flights should not cost you more than 750 US$ pp, I found 1500$ for 4 nights way too expensive, even if there are transfer to and from hotel included. But than, there are some luxurious hotels in Arenal area (just not inside the National Park).

Four nights is a good amount of time for one area only; but flying all the way from Texas for four nights only, well, I would not do it. YMMV. Happy anniversary!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

Four nights is not a lot of time, but with your budget, you could easily extend that and add more nights.

If you look at one of the most expensive hotels in the Arenal area, Nayara, there's a $1700 package that includes 3 nights, two dinners plus a tour and some other stuff.

There are quite a few hotels in that area that are beautiful and comfortable but don't have that kind of price tag.

So look at a 6-night trip -- flights DFW to SJO -- around $600 each person - total $1200

Lodging for 6 nights @$150 per night - $900

Food - $30 per day per person - $360

Rental car - $200

Tours - $500

For a total of -- $3160

Renting a car would be your best bet in that area -- there's many things you can do on your own without using an organized tour.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

If you're flying American from DFW, the flight gets in late at night and returns early in the morning, so you will really only have 3 days and it would be hard to get to Arenal on the first night. Can you get more time off? If not, t would be better to stay in a nice lodge in the Central Valley, where you don't have to drive so far. El Silencio, Peace Lodge, Xandari or Finca Rosa Blanca would be nice romantic lodges that would be close enough to the airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

4 nights at La Fortuna? You don´t need more days over there, you will probably explore a lot. With the budget depends how much are you gonna plan pay in at hotel

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

I think the most we could get are 5 nights. I know Costa Rica has a lot to offer and we wouldn't be able to see it all, which I'm okay with. We just wanted to go somewhere different where we could see waterfalls, animals, go explore, etc. If this is overpriced though we may look into going to Mexico instead.

But thank you for the advice. I will look into the Nayara, El Silencio, Peace Lodge, Xandari and Finca Rosa Blanca. Hopefully I can find something cheaper.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

For some lodging that is less expensive than the ones you list: Arenal Observatory Lodge (La Casona is less than $100)

Arenal Oasis - beautiful bungalows in a rainforest setting. Very friendly and helpful staff. Their breakfast area has bird feeders (platforms with fruits.....) and the bird life is simply amazing! Not far from La Fortuna (about 10 minutes) and way less then $100. Their small rainforest has trails.

Hotel Bijagua - near La Fortuna, swimming pool, small kitchen - less then $100

Finca Luna Nueva - specializes in medicinal plants, have their own rainforest, 35 min from La Fortuna, less thn $100

Fortuna Rustic Cabins - not far from La Fortuna

Tilajari -- beautiful property, about 20 minutes from La Fortuna, excellent pool. Well, everything is excellent.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

In general, Costa Rica shouldn't be as expensive as Paris or Tokyo, including flights. The only times I would spend $750/night total is if the lodging or activity offered something really unique, usually location on a private wildlife reserve (e.g. Osa Peninsula places).

In the Arenal area, there are lots of places that are much more affordable than that. Arenal Observatory Lodge is pretty much the only place we'd consider staying if we returned to the area.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

Any suggestions on a place to stay, that is cheaper perhaps, but also where we could see waterfalls, animals, and maybe a volcano?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

It seems you major expense is flights. If you can get that down, that makes things a lot more reasonable.

The best animals/volcano/waterfall value in Costa Rica will be the Arenal Obseravatory Lodge.

If you want an area that's less expensive, you could look at Nicaragua, which is loaded with volcanoes.

10. Re: Advise on one year anniversary vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16