We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

2 posts
Save Topic
Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

Planning a week long trip to CR, 6 nights and 7 days. I have a family of 5 and would like to stay in one room. So far have not found hotels that advertise rates or even allow all in one room. Help!

Worried Mom!

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

We are a family of 5 going in July. We went thru months of looking and had a hard time getting hotels to respond. I like to book directly with hotels. We are staying at Los Lagos. They offer a Premium Superior room. They have 2 queen beds (I believe queen) and 2 roll out beds underneath them. They have water slides/pools that look kid-friendly. Arenal Pariaso will accomodate 5 with a roll-away, Arenal Springs and Arenal Volcano Inn, same thing. It just takes alot of work to get them to respond. With Los Lagos we ended up calling. It isn't cheap. We have done a lot of travelling and like to stay economically. Not in this area though! Let me know if I can help you any further. Good luck!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

We're headed to Arenal are in august with our family of 5 also.

I second the other response. Volcano Inn gave us the cheapest quote of about $125/nt but we are going with Los Lagos ($153/nt) because of extra stuff the kids will enjoy. Room has 2 queen beds and a roll away.

have a great trip!

Beth in Dallas

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

Ok, so am I getting a raw deal? I was quoted $185 a night with Los Lagos. My kids are 15, 13 and 8 so maybe there is a difference there. Also, I am told we have 2 roll-aways. At this point I am just ready to go as I am dealing with passport headaches. We applied March 23rd and still don't have them. We were told 8-10 weeks and it has now been 12. I spent 4 hours on the phone yesturday and was on today at 6 am. So the hotel price doesn't annoy me at this point.....I am stressed about my passports! Apply 6 months in advance!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

You can now go online and get a print out stating that you have applied, but not recieved your passport in time for your trip. I am not sure what other documents you would need. Go online at the passport site and they have a link about the new rules for those that have already applied.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

Does the passport receipt work for Costa Rica? I thought it was just Canada and Mexico. We are going in August and applied in April, so I'm hoping the kids have their passports in time.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

I would assume silly me that it applies to all passports. Check out the web site and they have a link that will tell you all you need to know.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

Here is the link to the gov website:

…state.gov/passport/…status_2567.html

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

It does not apply to Costa Rica. No such luck.

Annapolis Md
Level Contributor
322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

Larie, We got the room at Los Lagos for 119.00 a night with tax included. It is a superior room 2 adults and 2 children. We went though Vacation City .Com. We are going the first week in August.

Annapolis Md
Level Contributor
322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking hotels in Costa Rica with family of 5

Oh, and they booked us as 4 adults.