We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lomas del Volcan or El Silencio del Camp or Erupciones Inn?

Which Bagaces hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Lomas del Volcan or El Silencio del Camp or Erupciones Inn?

Hi -

Any opinions or other insights into these three places - they're neck and neck from my research (TA, websites & guidebooks). Prices vary a little but not much.

I will have a car, so that's not an issue. Lomas is appealing because it's a bit out of the way. But, I'm also spending 2 nights at Arenal Observatory Lodge, so I'll have that experience. I do want to go to one of the hot springs, so maybe it would be better to be on that main stretch? But, again, with a car I guess it doesn't matter much...

They all seem nice, but does anyone have any info that would tip the scale at all? Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lomas del Volcan or El Silencio del Camp or Erupciones Inn?

El Campo has individual bungalows, very spacious with fridge in rooms. The family and staff were extremely helpful and friendly on a personal level. Alex at reception even let me borrow his personal cell phone one day. The breakfasts were great, they have free hot springs on their property and also 2 min from Eco-Thermales. The grounds are beautiful and you are at ground level with unobstruced view of the volcano, a different perspective than AOL. We had a great stay here and would definitely stay again.

Eastern Seaboard
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lomas del Volcan or El Silencio del Camp or Erupciones Inn?

We'll be spending two nights at the Arenal Observatory Lodge the 4th week of January.....would like to go to Eco Thermales for the 5pm slot for a soak and dinner......should I be worried about us driving back from Eco Thermales to the Arenal Observatory Lodge? How far is it please??

P.S. This forum is SOOOO helpful!!!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lomas del Volcan or El Silencio del Camp or Erupciones Inn?

Our family went to CR in July 2007 and stayed at El Silencio. Although have not stayed at the other two options, I can second the post above re: the positives of El Silencio. Location good, (on busy road, but bungalows set back enough from road), breakfast very good (banana pancakes were excellent), and close to Eco Termales with a discount to boot (owners are related I believe). Alex was also helpful to us, and bungalows were clean and comfortable.

In summer '07 there was construction next door, which didn't bother us much. Might be done now. Either way, did not obstruct view of Arenal (when not under clouds). However, we like you stayed at the Observatory Lodge as well, and the close-up view you'll get on that side is simply amazing, so view on El Silencio side, while different (mainly greener) need not be a priority (assuming lava flow is still on Observatory Lodge side as it was last summer that is).

The Observatory Lodge is less convenient to get in/out of for other area attractions, so also agree with your instinct that two relatively out-of-the-way places may not be necessary, although no problem either.

As for follow-up Q re: driving from Eco Termales to Observatory Lodge, we did not do that drive, and had a private driver for that part of our trip. For the very little it is worth (hopefully you'll get other opinions), I probably would not have wanted to make that drive at night, given rather sparse signage and some bumpy roads leading into the Lodge. But I am sure there are many who would say it is fine. I'd estimate it at 30-40 minutes, but again others might have more precise estimate.

Have fun!

4. Re: Lomas del Volcan or El Silencio del Camp or Erupciones Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 15:16