We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
219 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

HOtel Magic Mountain has been highly recommended to us, but I'm wondering if you can see the eruptions from there. Any comments?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

No, it's on the "green side" of the volcano. JMO but there are many nicer places to stay in the area with better views. I'd look into Arenal Paraiso, Lost Iguana, Kioro, Arenal Lodge or El Silencio.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
219 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

Do your recommendations all have eruption views?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

The only one you can see any eruptions from (as of right now) is Arenal Observatory. It is a nice place but a very rocky drive to get there & back, which makes tours or trips to restaurants a little challange. The other hotels are closer to town (Lost Iguana being the furthest out) but within a few minutes drive of good viewing points. Please keep in mind that Arenal is not a volcano such as one in Hawaii, it does not have lava floating down the side; an eruption consists of puff of smoke and lots of debris/rocks coming down the side. At night these will "light up" from the heat of the rocks and produce a visible effect. As I said the others offer a lot more, in atmosphere, character and amenities.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
219 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

I liked La Silencia's website info the best; am waiting a return e-mail from them re lodgings.

Thanks for your help.

We won't have a car, so probably will try to arrange a night tour to take in whatever eruption is going on. Is this possible?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

Night tours are always possible yes; your best bet could possibly be to have a taxi come & pick you up and take you out to a good viewpoint, since they drive the area every day, they always know the good places to go to get the best views.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
219 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

Midori - you are marvelous! Many thanks for your time and knowledge. It's much appreciated.

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

IF you stay at Magic Mountain, then you will be contributing to the blight of huge ugly American style hotels that is increasingly disfiguring the road from La Fortuna to Arenal. You cannot see the lava flow from any of those hotels. Nature had the last laugh when they started building these monstrosities, the lava flow changed to the other side.

If you stay at somewhere like El Silencio which we have just come from and just worship as what the ideal hotel in the area should be and you do not have a car, they can arrange a trip at night to the volcano side for about $40 USD (in town, tours were $15 USD pp.

Another ugly hotel is being built next El Silencio so that if you stay there you will experience the kind of blight that is wrecking the place.

And if you want to stay at a place like Magic Mountain, I wonder why you are coming to Costa Rica. Go to Orlando or Anaheim.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

Thankfully nature played a trick on the hotels like Magic Mountain that are increasingly blighting the road from La Fortuna to Arenal. They are ugly and if that is the kind of place you are looking for, I would question why you would want to come to Costa Rica. Go to Orlando or Anaheim. There is plenty of plastic there.

As someone else has mentioned, El Silencio is a beautiful small hotel with each unit a spacious cabin. The people are wonderful even though they too are having to deal with another blight being built next door, this time unfortunately by some Canadian woman. It will have Caribbean in the name and it too should be avoided when it opens.

As someone else has mentionned, you need a taxi or a tour to see the lava at night. If you have a car, you can go yourself. Otherwise, I heard El Silencio arranging a tour from some others at $40 USD for 4. Tours from town were charging $15 USD per person

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
219 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

While I appreciate your position and probably agree with it, I do not appreciate the subtle anger expressed toward me in your response. I knew nothing about any of the hotels in the Arenal area, and my original question clearly stated only that Magic Mountain had come highly recommended to us, which it did by fellow American travelers.

I've already decided to stay at El Silencio because the atmosphere is so appealing. I hope to hear today from Luis, confirming our request.

Your comments re Orlando (which I detest) et al are insulting and totally out of order. I hope someone at the controls of Trip Advisor is monitoring this particular discussion and making note of the tone of your response -- which I got in duplicate, by the way. As a long-time user, I'm very surprised to find such nastiness displayed in this website. I suggest you direct your anger where it can do some good, not at a fellow user who simply asked a question.

Here's to courtesy and information, such as offered by Midori and welcomed by me.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Question re Hotel Magic Mountain

We stayed at Magic Mountain 4 nights at the end of March 2008. I would like to share our experience. When we checked in they had given us a room with 2 queen beds when we had requested a king. They appoligized and said the hotel was full and they would move us the next day. About 30 minutes later a knock on our door and the desk manager, Lauren, said she had another room for us but would like for us to see it first. They upgraded us to the suite for the night. What a great way to start a trip celebrating our 25th Anniversary. We experienced this type of attitude our entire stay. The grounds are well kept, breakfast good, rooms nice w/ balacony overlooking a pasture of serene cattle grazing. It is a place where the tour bus people stay, but we found this a plus. They pull in around 6 p.m., are a quite crowd, and are gone by 8 the next morning. During the day it is quiet and you have the place to yourself and the staff can give you all the attention you need. They helped us with rental cars, restuarants, tours etc. Yes it is what you would call an "American" hotel. The amnemities make you think you are staying at the Hampton Inn. This was our first trip to Costa Rica and the country is so beautiful and we did hiking, rafting, ziplining, suspension bridges etc., however, after a long day it was comforting to us to return to a room that reminded us of home.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America