We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

Which Bagaces hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

Can anyone advise me as to how much time I should allow myself before our flight out of CR? At home I know we allow 2 hours for Domestic Flights and 3 hours for International Flights. I believe our flight from CR is considered International. Is the obligatory 3 hours enough time to allow before departure flight time? Our flight leaves at around 11:00 am CR time. Also, I need more information on the "Departure Tax". What is this and how is it handled at the airport? Can forms be filled out ahead of time? Or maybe I should post this as a separate topic in and of itself! Is the San Jose airport slow in going through Customs etc? This is our first trip to CR and I have sooo many questions! Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

As a rule 3 hours...but some people do it 2 hours...paying the departure tax is simple...and most of the time does not take me more than 5 minutes...even with a busy airport...

If you are to close to departure time...ask the airline people to help you speed up all the process, they will happily will do it!

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
739 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

The recommended time is 3 hours prior to your international flight. Allow for that in case of traffic problems, flat tires, or whatever along the way. If you're travelling with just a carry-on you could get away with less.

As for the departure tax, it's $26 per person, payable in colones, dollars or with credit card. You can pay your exit tax as well at any Banco of Costa Rica with your passport. Keep the paper they give you as you'll need it when you leave.

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

So do you pay this exit tax at the counter in the airport when you are checking in? Thanks!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
739 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

In San Jose there is a special section that you pay it before you check in. One person can do this while the other stands in line to check in; but you'll need your companion's passport.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

3 hours on international flights for me to be safe

Pay the departure tax on your right as you enter SJO

Careful with credit card it is treated as a CASH WITHDRAWAL

not a transaction so additional fees 20% interest starts right away.

Pay cash if you can...

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

WOW! Glad to have the heads up on the credit card thing! I will pay cash. And I will stick with the 3 hour departure time frame! Even here in the States I allow for extra time because you just never know what could happen!

7. Re: San Jose CR Airport-how much time to allow for Departure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 06:20