We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Fortuna Hostel

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
La Fortuna Hostel

Hi there,

I'm travelling to La Fortuna, Costa Rica in Nov this year and I'm looking for a hostel where I can meet people, take Hiking tours to Arenal Volcano, Zipline, do white water rafting, hanging bridges, rappelling and Hot springs as my main goal is to stay at a nice hostel where I can meet people, but also I want the hostel to help me book tours, etc.

After staying few days at the hostel, I will be traveling to Quepos area so I would need help in planning transportation from the hostel to Quepos.

I forgot to mention that I would also need transportation when I land in San Jose to the hostel.

Please assist me in figuring out which hostel would be a good choice in La Fortuna.

Thank you,

Samreen

7 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Fortuna Hostel

Arenal Backpackers is probably the best hostel in La Fortuna.

As for transportation - if you are looking for inexpensive transportation, you can use the public bus. You can pick up the bus that goes from San Jose to La Fortuna (by way of San Carlos) at a bus station about 5 minutes from the SJO airport which is actually located in Alajuela.

www.thebusschedule.com/cr/ -- note that on this bus schedule, "San Carlos" is "Ciudad Quesada" - they are the same thing.

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Fortuna Hostel

Thanks you for the information.

I keep coming across Arenal Hostel Resort. What's the difference between Arenal Hostel Resort and Arenal Backpackers?

~S

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: La Fortuna Hostel

Also, where would I be able to get a private room with a private bathroom as I don't want to share the room or bathroom with anyone, and at night or morning, I rather not be disturbed by anyone making a lot of noise if they're getting in really late.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Fortuna Hostel

Arenal Hostel Resort and Arenal Backpackers are both hostels in and near the center of La Fortuna. Just check the websites of both and see which one you prefer. They both have private rooms with private bathroom.

Of the two, I think Arenal Hostel Resort would probably be the noisiest at night since it is right in the center of town. Arenal Backpackers is not far from the center of town but set back a bit from the highway.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Fortuna Hostel

The backpackers resort is definitely the way to go: http://arenalbackpackersresort.com/ They DO have private rooms and the grounds and ammenities they offer are better than any other "hostel" I've seen and the staff is amazing. Enjoy!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Fortuna Hostel

I agree with The Villa Hermosa on this one. I've not stayed there - but I did stop and look around and it looks great. Also - I have spoken to a few people who stayed there and they liked it very much.

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Fortuna Hostel

Thank you so much guys. Your feedback has really helped me a lot :)

Cheers!

Reply to: La Fortuna Hostel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted