We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting in Costa Rica

NYC
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Rafting in Costa Rica

Hi,

I will be travelling to costa rica in December. I will be staying in Arenal and Quepos/Manual Antonio and am interested in white water rafting.

Does anyone know which river/location is the best for rafting?

Thanks!

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

the best by far is the Pacuare river , it is a one day tour out of San Jose , it is located east of Turrialba

Whitby, ON Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

I've only done the Pacuare and agree it's defintely worth it. If that doesn't fit your plans, from Arenal I think your option is rafting the Sarapiqui which sounds a tad more sedate (Class II-III). Rafting the Naranjo or Savegre near Quepos will still get you Class III-IV water.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

It looks like I have a similar itinerary in December as well. Does anyone know anything about the Rio Toro? Its only 1 hr from Fortuna and I'm told its a class IV.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

My wife and I spent one of the greatest days of our lives doing a 'full day white water rafting' trip (through Iguana Tours) of the Savegre river. This would be perfect for you since you're staying in the Manuel Antonio area (the river is inland from Quepos). My wife has since been on a trip that's run out of Fortuna on the Sarapiqui. She said it was very nice but the excursion down the Savegre beat it out. I haven't been on the Pacuare but have heard consistently great things about it. It's definitely on my list for the future.

La Fortuna
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

From Arenal area you can enjoy full day trip at sarapiqui river and toro river, half day at arenal river.

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

I am scheduled to do a white water rafting tour on the Colorado with Avispa Tours- has anyone done this rafting tour?

Arenal Volcano area
Level Contributor
238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

Pacuare river is best river for white water rafting in Costa Rica, you can take one day trip from Arenal area.

Toro river is class III and IV, one day trip from La Fortuna. niquitas@hotmail.com

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

I will be staying in Playa Hermosa- how far are these two rivers from there?

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

I will be staying in Playa Hermosa- how far are these two rivers from there?

Arenal Volcano area
Level Contributor
238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rafting in Costa Rica

Playa hermosa in Guanacaste or Playa Hermosa at pacific south?