We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal to Monteverde

Which Bagaces hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal to Monteverde

I will be staying at Arenal Lodge Feb 8-10 and then staying at Acro Iris in Monteverde Feb 10-12. I have a rental car and looking for suggestions on getting from Arenal to Monteverde. I actually wish I didn't have the car as I would love to do the boat/jeep or horseback for the trip. Is there a ferry possibly? Rather than waste the time driving on poor roads, I am looking for any suggestions on how to much this trip more enjoyable between Arenal and Monteverde. I appreicate any help you can give. Thanks

Arenal Volcano area
Level Contributor
238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal to Monteverde

You can ask to the counter at Arenal Lodge about the horseback to monteverde and the extra driver.

they provide this service with autorization from the rent a car.

If you have a car I recommend the horseback.

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal to Monteverde

Check with monteverdeinfo.com For an extra fee they will have one of their people drive your car up if you go by horse or van/boat/van up through the mountains.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal to Monteverde

We drove from Arenal to Monteverde last January. Of course, the drive around the lake is terrible. But the lake really is beautiful (seeing it was one one the highlights of my trip). Afterwards, the road (well, I would say the trail) gets TERRIBLE. But what a view you get of Costa Rica's countryside! Altough I remember this road as being the most terrible I have ever been on (and I mean terrible: it is not paved, you have to see it to beleive it) I do not regret the drive. Being alone on a deserted road is an experience by itself. Plus you get to see what Costa Rica really looks like (without all the tourists). Hope that helps!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
154 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal to Monteverde

We loved our drive around the lake to Monteverde. It was truly one of the most beautiful drives I have ever done.

It is LONG...we only stopped once (well, 2x if you count the mudslide!) and it took us about 5 hours. The road is well paved up until you make your ascent, and then it's about 1 hour on unpaved, rocky, potholed roads. If you have ever been 4-wheeling, that is a good indication of how this trip is. Don't drive TOO slow on the dirt roads, you'll never make it. If you have a bad back, I don't recommend the drive up to Monteverde.

But, for all the stories we heard...it wasn't terrible at all.

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal to Monteverde

I think the last 2 posters convinced me to make the drive. I do love beautiful scenery (aferall, that is why I am going to Costa Rica!) and I've never shyed from a challenge. I think I agree with Scarlett that a drive along a beautiful lake and seeign the tree countryside could be an adventure I wouldn't want to miss. Thank you so much for your insights and sharing your experience.

6. Re: Arenal to Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 06:20