We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving

Is there any area in the Guanacaste region that has great scuba diving? If so what can we expect for water temperatures in late december? and are there any resorts nearby.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving

Playa del Coco, Playa Ocotal, and Playa Hermosa, water temp around low 80's.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 02:56
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
736 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving

Also available from the Conchal, Flamingo, and Tamarindo areas. Water temps range between 79-82 year round. How cool is that?

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving

I dive out of Flamingo, as it is just around the corner from where I stay in Playa Conchal, and is closest to the Catalina Islands, where most of the diving is done from northern Guanacaste. While the surface temps might be warm, there are serious thermoclines and you will get cooler at depth. Both the Flamingo Beach Resort and Flamingo Marina resort have good dive operators that I have used. December is the start of the good diving season. Maybe you will see some Mantas there.

San Lorenzo, Costa...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving

Playa del Coco is the most famous but Coco island is one the best in the wrold .

contact http://www.aggressor.com/ or http://www.underseahunter.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving

Ya, I've heard great things about Cocos island and the schooling hammerheads. Too bad it's 600km away and needs to be done via an expensive 10 day or so liveaboard :(

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
561 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving

Here out of Playas Del Coco there is Summer Salt Dive Center, Rich Coast Diving, over in Ocotal, Ocotal Resort and in Playa Hermosa there's Diving Safaris. All these mentioned have daily dive charters and teach PADI courses as well. Local dive sites include my favorite, Punta Argentina, Punta Gorda, Monkey Head, and they can also take you to Catalinas Island and Bat Island if you want to dive for bull sharks! The water temp is always nice but sometimes the thermocline is a little chilly. Most of the time a 3/2 wetsuit is used for the typical 40-60 minute dive. Sometimes no wet suit is needed at all....it can honestly change day to day. All dive charters have equipment you can rent.

Cocos Island, like the other dude mentioned, is very far away...that is a whole trip in itself...something like 350 miles away?? Not a day tour for diving that's for sure!

7. Re: Scuba Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 06:16