We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Nantucket
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

We are flying into LIR and staying in Nosara in November. Should we hire a driver to Nosara (concerned about road conditions during rainy season and dealing with possibly difficult drive after long flights)? If we decide to make the drive, what car rental companies provide best service from LIR? Thanks for your help.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Budget...National...AVIS...Hertz...Alamo...Dollar..Toyota ...Adobe .try to stay away from Economy not good news.

Nice to have a car around Nosara...maybe one day drive to Ostional and see the turtles...you will save money and time...

roadadvisor

Nantucket
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Thanks roadadvisor!

Is the drive a real hassle?

If we decide to get a private driver to handle the airport transfers to and from LIR, do any of the car rental companies you suggest rent cars right in Nosara?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Thank you for asking...the drive is great at least I love it...no problem at all if is not to much rain...couple rivers can be little problem...but the best is just wait the water will go down...do not take a chance if you are in that position...it is not worth it.

That is a good question about the rent a car companies in Nosara, honestly I do not want to confuse you...I know most of them are in Samara...

roadadvisor

Nantucket
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Thanks for your honest reply RoadAdvisor.

We love an adventure and a scenic ride on dirt roads doesn't scare us but I don't want to run into any sticky situations safety wise. I've heard some interesting stories about being pulled over and police issuing bogus tickets. That would be a disappointing way to start our CR experience...

I wish there were more flight options to and from Nosara in November but the low season schedules just dont seem to fit the bill.

Thanks again for your time.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Thank you once again...regarding Police...like anywhere in the world today...we have honest and corrupt cops...

Try to follow driving rules and observe speed limits and driving distances...and I almost guarantee that nothing is going to happen to you guys...of course many people will jump all over me to tell you that Police gave them a ticket and they were not doing anything...remember jails are full of mostly inocent people...

I drive for living in my country...I drive a lot of kms a day...today I´m off...they pull me over and for the last 7 years I have had not a single ticket...

Most of the time I smile and talk to them....and agree in what ever they may have to said...and it works ...they like sincere people...

Please do not hesitate to ask any question any time here at the forum.

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

The road to Nosara is in excellent condition right now. Not many bumps and all rivers/creeks have bridges, so you don't have to drive through any water.

Post back closer to your trip and I'll give you an update, or send me a private message and I'll let you know road conditions.

Car Rental agencies in Nosara include Alamo, National and Economy.

Most people here prefer National, and it's real easy to find on the main road.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Ooops, we have Toyota rental agent too, another popular option.

Nantucket
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Wow! You guys are awesome with the advice. Thanks! We are coming mid-late November so I am hoping the rains will be ending somewhat by then. It would be very cool to take that drive on our own and save some dough for other activities while we are there. Thanks again for your time. Take Care.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

You are WELCOME...ALAMO are very nice people to deal with!

roadadvisor

Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting Car at LIR to drive to Nosara

Try also Vamos, great experience, search for them or see my post about my rental a couple of months ago, they are honest and will give you a full quote, and not try to play games once you arrive