We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaying departure tax when arriving

mn
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Prepaying departure tax when arriving

Hi all,

I heard you could pay for your departure tax when you arrive in Costa Rica. As long as you save the receipt and have it when you get to the airport when you leave.

Is this true? And how do I go about it when I arrive?

Who do I show the receipt to when I am leaving then?

Are the lines long when leaving if I don't prepay?

Thanks for any help.

Scoobydodet

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaying departure tax when arriving

You can pay your departure tax upon arriving. I'm not sure how this works at the new airport because I haven't been there yet and don't know where the departure tax booth is.

However, paying your departure tax is pretty quick and painless so really not much reason to pay ahead of time.

When you are leaving, you will need to show the receipt - which is also an immigration form that needs to be filled out - to the airlines when you check in.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaying departure tax when arriving

You can also pay the departure tax at the bank during your stay, should you wish to. As Hattie says, it's very easy to pay at the airport when you're leaving-but pay cash to avoid extra charges on your credit card!!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaying departure tax when arriving

Not worth spending extra time at airport, go and enjoy your vacation. Pay it when you leave, you have to be there a couple of hours early anyways.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaying departure tax when arriving

Do not worry pay it at departure...not a big deal at all...lines moving fast at SJO or LIR...Do not worry be happy!

roadadvisor

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaying departure tax when arriving

Many hotels will let you pay it at reception. They usually add a $3 or $4 service charge, but since you're already waiting to check in/out, we always do it there, so we don't have to worry about the airport.

If a couple of buses with large groups show up at the airport just before you, you might have to wait a while. Here's one vote for prepaying the tax.

And don't forget to fill it out as well.

6. Re: Prepaying departure tax when arriving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 10:34