We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How dangerous is it right now?

Redwood City...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How dangerous is it right now?

Yesterday I talked to my dad's friend who is a tour guide there and he was saying its pretty dangerous right now... I have been planning this trip for a year and am hearing about this 3 weeks before our trip !?! What is everyones opinion? We will be staying in playa del coco

Costa Rica Tours and Concierge
Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Ricozz Tours Costa Rica
Sightseeing Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

What kind of danger are you talking about?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

I live here and do not feel threatened in any way. Just use common sense and you will be fine. Leave the expensive gadgets at home (ipads, laptops) you are on vacation and you do not need them IMO.

The crime here is mostly that of opportunity. Unfortunately tourists can sometimes have their guard down because they are on vacation. Just be aware, do not leave stuff in the car if you rent, do not leave bags unattended, don't go out partying all night long with questionable people, etc...

You will be fine. Be sure to post when you get back and let the forum know how your trip was. Have a blast.

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

Recently returned from a trip to CR that included 1 week in Playa Hermosa-about 10 minutes from Coco...spent plenty of time in Coco eating, diving, grocery shopping. (We also spent additional time in Liberia, Rincon de la vieja, Canas, Jaco, and Monteverde.) The areas we visited were fine.

We witnessed NO crime or evidence of crimes (although petty theft is widely reported on this forum). I did leave a fairly expensive camara on a public bus, and before I was two steps away from the door, it was returned to me by a local--I was impressed!

Keep an eye on your belongings, don't leave items including luggage unattended in your car, keep passports secure, etc...just common sense things.

The Costa Rican people are friendly, helpful, and are eager to share their country!!

Don't know what the "tour guide" was referencing--but I think he is off base!!!

Redwood City...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

Thank you! I've been to Venezuala so know the common smarts of not leaving things in cars etc, but am worried about the tire puncture scam. He was explaining that at restaurants and spots they will puncture your tire. I appreciate the feedback! I will!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

I have no idea what kind of danger you are envisioning or what situations your dad's friend is experiencing. As a regular tourist, your chances of being exposed to any kind of violence are negligible.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

I have never heard of the "puncture your tire at a restaurant" thing.

I don't know why that person is trying to scare you, but just forget it. Use your good common sense - you know how to act when traveling internationally.

The area you will be visiting - Playas del Coco and nearby - is not dangerous at all.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

Ohhhh the tire puncture scam. I think they started doing that after people wised up to the "banana peel on the sidewalk scam". J/k. Don't worry about it. Just don't keep valuables locked in your car and don't stay in a dodgy hotel and you'll be fine. Enjoy your vacation and quit worrying so much.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
614 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

Might be dangerous if you're a black panther. But since you're not, just enjoy your trip and remember not to leave your car parked with the windows down and your ipod sitting on the dashboard.

:)

ENJOY!!

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

I have always suspected that a few unscupulous guides start some of these rumors in an attempt to incourage tourists to use their services instead of doing it on their own

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How dangerous is it right now?

Well, to be fair, people's interpretation of "danger" can vary tremendously. What's dangerous to some is completely safe to others. My former neighbors were always amazed that I would walk my dog after dark - they thought that they'd be mugged and/or shot if they ever ventured outside after nightfall. This was in Beverly Hills...