We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecitng in Miami

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Connecitng in Miami

Flying American from LIberia to toronto through Miami. Can anyone explain what connecting is like there

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecitng in Miami

Immigration is a nightmare. Get seats as close to the front of the plane as you can and move as quickly as you can when you get off the plane.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecitng in Miami

Lovely!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecitng in Miami

Miami is a very crowded, very busy airport. I try to avoid it. Unless things have improved, both passport control and security are very slow. I once was in the security line for over an hour. Maybe it is better now.

I agree with SonnySullivan -- sit as close to the front as possible and don't tarry.

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecitng in Miami

Allow PLENTY of time between flights! During spring break it was taking about 1 1/2 hours to get through customs...then you must go through the whole preflight screening process again to get on the next flight. Overall it took us about 2.5 hours from landing to arriving at our gate for departure.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecitng in Miami

I totally agree with brown11 -- but just to clarify-- there is a difference between "customs" and "passport control." Passport control is usually the holdup. With customs, you get your luggage and walk through, handing them a form. The line moves pretty fast.

So here's the drill: off the plane, go through passport control, pick up your luggage, go through customs (handing over the form), drop off your bags for re-check (quick), head to your next gate and go through security.

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecitng in Miami

The last few years we have used MIA for our connecting airport, and we don't find it any better/worse than any other major US city airport, since 911, stopping anywhere in US has been a pain in the....

Massachussets
Level Contributor
416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecitng in Miami

What if you are flying from a US city into Miami? Do you have to do anything before boarding your next flight? We have a 50 minute layover going to CR and I just hope its enough time!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecitng in Miami

Amanda: I can pretty much guarantee you that 50 minutes will not be enough!

If you are flying to Miami from a US city and then on to Costa Rica, you will have to change terminals, often a long walk, and then go through security. If your plane is on time and you are sitting near the front of the plane, walk really fast and this is "your lucky day" and security lines are not a mile long, there is a chance you will make it.

I suppose if your flight is in the middle of the night, that would be different!

Edited: 07 April 2012, 18:55
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,376 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecitng in Miami

I fly a lot. There are some airports I dislike but only one I really hate: Miami.

It is the most disorganized, no-sense-to-anything airport I fly through. Lines tend to be long, sometimes you have to walk for about a mile to get to immigration, and friendliness if often considered to be an overrated, nostalgic sentiment.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecitng in Miami

i've recently been through sju, jfk, mco and mia. miami is by far the worst. jfk moves along at the speed of, well, new york city, puerto rico no problem. coming through miami on our way home from cr was just as bad as last year's experience. we were stood in line and watched as immigration officers walked into and out of booths, then leave the hall completely for about 15 minutes before they were all settled in and processing travelers. one officer changed booths 7 times before he got started! didn't have to do customs this time as we were flying home right away, but last year customs was no problem.