We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

Indianapolis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

My husband and i were just approved for residentsy. They have also just finished building our small house in Arenal, nuevo. We have two acres of mountain, and lakeview. Everything has turned out beautiful thanks to the COSTA RICANS that built it. I am afraid i am not going to see it. I have been trying for about five months to get a PHARMACY any where in COSTA RICA to respond to my e-mails. I have sent both English & Spanish E-mails. I have NARCOLEPSY, and take the drug ADDERALL. I will end up sleeping 90% of the time with out it. In the U.S. Doctors by law are only allowed to write a hard copy RX for a 30 day supply. I have paid to join a big group in San Jose that is suppose to help people find out info. Well that did not work either. The tico friends we have, tried to find out but I think something went wrong with the wording. I am desperate! Any e-mail leads? Any Pharmacy Names? Any other drug names like this drug? Thanks debbie

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
615 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

I was going to suggest asking the pharmacies for the drug by the name, not the BRAND name "Adderall," but by just doing a quick search I found your answer on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall;

Adderall is a brand name psychostimulant drug. It belongs to the phenethylamine and amphetamine chemical classes. Adderall is used for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy.[1] It is commercially available and legal only in the United States and Canada. Adderall is a combination of four amphetamine salts (racemic amphetamine aspartate monohydrate, racemic amphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine saccharide, and dextroamphetamine sulfate). It works as a reuptake inhibitor for dopamine and norepinephrine.[2] It is available in two formulations: IR (Instant Release) and XR (Extended Release). The immediate release formulation is indicated for use in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy,[3] while the XR formulation is approved for use only with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).[2]

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

You might join the yahoo living group in Costa Rica for more residents information since this is more of a travel forum. groups.yahoo.com/group/CostaRicaLiving/

Hopefully someone can suggest a suitable alternative. Since you are a resident, have you consulted with your national health insurance physician here? Best of luck to you! I hope you can soon enjoy living in paradise!

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

You may also have more luck going about this a different way. You may wish to locate a Costa Rican Neurologist or primary care physician for your ongoing treatment while in Costa Rica. A Physician can advise you on what stimulants will be available within Costa Rica for the treatment of Narcolepsy.

There will be a couple of options available--but may not be exactly the same product.

Due to the nature of this drug, local pharmacies will certainly not advertise that they stock it and most likely will be slow to answer availability questions for security reasons if nothing else.

In the mean time another idea is to discuss with your current provider the possiblilty of utilizing one of the newer drugs such as Nuvigil (armodafinil) or Provigil (modafinil) that can prescribed for up to 90 days on prescriptions which are good for 6 months. This still doesn't address the issue of drug availability in Costa Rica, but gives you a longer window of time to find a solution.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

I will try to ask around with some Dr friends...

roadadvisor

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

How about simply calling?

Fischel is rather large and the Escazu location might even have someone who speak English (if you happen to not speak Spanish):

www.fischel.cr/ubicaciones.php…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

I just talk with my Dr friend...Fernando Zeledon...

The medicine is available in Costa Rica ...BUT you need a prescrition by a Costa Rican Psiquiatric Dr...since is an a Amphetamine...you can contact them at any private clinic like...Clinica Biblica...Clinica Catolica...CIMA..

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

You are WELCOME...just do not hesitate to ask any question any time here at the forum!

roadadvisor

Indianapolis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!

Your sugestions have been very helpful. I will try hopefully just one. But I will keep at it until, I can at least stay awake. The people I know here in the U.S. love the pictures of the land and fauna. They hate the pictures of the animals, reptiles, and bugs. I love the challenge, of learning all the beauty of COSTA RICA. A big thank you to my parents for Boy & Girl Scouts, that peaked my interest in Nature, and a self sustaining life style. COSTA RICA IS THE PARADISE I have been dreaming about. I never thought i would get this far at my age. You people responding to this question have also helped me get here. NUEVO73

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

Once again YOU ARE WELCOME!

roadadvisor

10. Re: how to find a pharmacy with your medicine before you go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:16