We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

We're flying into LIR and renting a car. I'm pretty darn sure that I've read in this forum, or elsewhere, that all rental agencies are off-site from the Liberia airport, and as a result, there is no airport surcharge for renting a car. Yet Budget is telling me there is a 14% airport fee. I said "what?" and they said everybody else charges the fee, so they do also.

Anybody have any authoritative information or suggestions on how to deal with this? Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

HUmm...good question...did you ask BUDGET what kind of tax is that 14% ???

Verify with Alamo...Toyota...Avis...Hertz...Adobe...etc...about the same...stay as far as you can from Economy...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

All rental agencies are off site at Liberia so there should be no 14% airport fee. I did notice the last time I was there that there were some parking spaces blocked off for rental cars but I got the idea that these were actually parking spaces for the various shuttles.

I would be interested to know what this 14% airport fee is actually for.

I would check with other car rental agencies to do a comparison. Try Vamos, Solid and Toyota and see what they say.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

Go for Vamos...they will pick you up at the airport or bring a vehicle to where you are...I can say nothing but good things about them....and no hidden taxes!

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

Have had good luck with both Adobe and Dollar in Liberia...

No "airport" fees at all--all rentals are off site.

On the last visit we had a very early flight and drove over from Playa Coco/Hermosa. The rental company let us park the car in one of the parking spots a the airport and lock the keys in it...they picked up the car later that morning. We made arrangements well in advance but I was a bit nervous just leaving the car there...however the charge came through on my credit card as promised.

(and of course we took good care of their car)

Edited: 29 January 2013, 02:53
Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

Sounds fishy!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

I've heard bad things about Budget in Liberia. I've rented from Solid and Vamos last two years. Both turned out fine and no weird surcharges. At Vamos, the agent I worked with, Anibal, was excellent. My interactions with all staff were fine. Two things that weren't so good: 1. Nobody was at the airport when we arrived, but they were on the way. 2. The car we rented was pretty old. A wing mirror fell off when I closed the passenger door at one point. However, it worked fine for us and having a shiny new car in CR screams "tourist" and probably increases the chances of petty theft.

San Jose
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

Dear NickFatherofTwo,

Please allow me to address your comment pertaining to Vamos. We very much appreciate your review especially your positive comments pertaining to Anibal.

By the same token, allow me to apologize for the issue with the mirror. This should not have happened. Your comments serve as a reminder to keep pushing our crew to improve the vehicle inspections. Over the last five months, we have made great strives in improving our fleet, and will continue to do so.

Even though we would love to rent shiny new cars, our business model is based on acquiring quality pre-owned vehicles coupled with a rigorous maintenance plan. The idea is to offer our clients a dependable vehicle at a reduced rate. The advantage of renting a pre-owned vehicle (vs. a brand new car) is that most of the depreciation (a rent-a-car's greatest expense) has already taken place. Since a pre-ownved vehicle depreciates slower, we are able to pass on the saving through lower rates.

You can always contact me at Vamos, for any critique. It is my job to ensure that our clients are satisfied. I will make sure that your comments in regards to the mirror will be passed to the mechanic. We will work to get it right.

Regards,

George Schwarzenbach

Operations Manager at Vamos.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

Now that, folks, is what you call Customer Service! Thank you, George. Vamos gets really good recommendations here and now we can see one of the reasons why.

9. Re: Airport surcharge for Liberia car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 07:18