We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone interpret the Rental Coverages Section?

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Can someone interpret the Rental Coverages Section?

I'm planning on renting a car from Thrifty from June 18 - June 25, and was trying to estimate the insurance fees I am required to pay by CR law. I ran upon this language in the "Terms and Condition" section of the Thrifty rental confirmation:

"COVERAGES: Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) covers third party claims with a zero deductible. If LDW and SLI are purchased together, the price of the SLI is reduced to $12.99 per day all cars. An additional $3000.00 security deposit will be required at the time of rental if LDW is not purchased with SLI. LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER (LDW) is available with a $1250.00 deductible. LDW covers collision and theft of the vehicle, but not partial theft. Sold only in conjunction with SLI or as part of the TPP package. If LDW is declined, the cost for SLI will be $19.99 on all cars. ACCIDENT EXCESS REDUCTION (AER) covers the deductible including Tire, Glass, and other incidentals not covered by LDW. Sold only as part of the TPP package. Total Protection Package (TPP) includes SLI, LDW and AER. If TPP is purchased then a small deposit of $300.00 would be required along with the estimated total."

Is this basically just telling me I get a discount on SLI (from $19.99 to $12.99) if I opt for LDW, however they don't specifically state how much the LDW coverage is? I'm guessing the total for SLI (required, right) + LDW is greater that $19.99? This is all very confusing to me....if this is the case, then, for a 7 day rental I should expect to pay roughly $140 for SLI coverage? (this is more than the base rental rate)

Thanks for any information.

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone interpret the Rental Coverages Section?

I have rented cars in Costa Rica before and the insurance is mandatory and they usually do not honor what your credit card says about covering the insurance. And yes the mandatory coverage really jacks the price up and do expect to have at least a $1000 hold put on your credit card which reduces the credit available for other purchases while in CR so be sure to either have a large credit limit or bring a 2nd credit card to cover other expenditures. I actually forget which of the "alphabets" is the mandatory one SLI or LDW. The more insurance you purchase the lower the deposit hold they put on your credit card. I personally would rather pay more upfront for the car rental and insurance than have a huge hold put on my credit card as the hold can take days to come off.

2. Re: Can someone interpret the Rental Coverages Section?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:16