We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April is dry, but is it too dry?

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
April is dry, but is it too dry?

We are considering a trip to Cost Rica in April. I have heard that the country is essentially brown during that time bc all the greenery dries up due to the lack of rain- true? And how is it for scuba? We are taking lessons now and want to get our open water certification with ssi while there. We are also considering Cozumel if anyone wishes to compare the two...

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

You've been misinformed.

It's 's not "Medicine Hat brown" at all-the tropics are always green and it all depends what micro climate you're in as to how many shades of green one can count.

As to Scuba the less runoff the better the clarity in that regard your choice is excellent.

Mexican food is much much better than anything on offer in Costa Rica.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

Parts of Guanacaste province can be quite dry in April, but most of the rest of the country will be green even through it is approaching the end of the dry season.

As far as comparing Cozumel and Costa Rica for diving - we have enjoyed both. In Cozumel the visibility is generally considerably better, you will see a greater variety of coral and probably a wider variety of fish life. All that being said, we really enjoyed diving Costa Rica - we saw huge schools of fish (although not quite the variety), larger numbers of rays, large numbers of reef sharks. It depends on what you are looking for and what else you want to do besides diving.

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

Its dry and brown hot and dusty in Northern Guanacaste, cooler as you go south!

Playa del Coco is the main dive town in Guanacaste:

…typepad.com/playa_del_coco/home/index.html

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

We are considering Occidental Papagayo in Manzanillo Beach. Is that Northern or Southern do you know? I tried mapping it but had no luck...

USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

Strange postings for the LIBERIA forum!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

Ken, Liberia is a main travel hub in northwest Costa Rica. Look it up :)

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

Thanks Josh, I didn't know what Ken's problem was. Thought maybe he had a problem with me calling April dry! :)

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

I hope you guys know that CR has far more colors on its palette than just brown or basic green. There are an infinite variety of shades of green. And the dry season in the northwest also brings with it a spectacular progression of flowering tree blossoms ranging from the warm gold of the Cassia in January to the vivid purple of the Jacaranda which should be at its full height when you arrive there in April. in between you'll see the beautiful yellow of the Vainillo, the whites and pinks of the Roble de Sabana (national tree of El Salvador), the red-orange of the Malinche or the Llama del Bosque, etc.

Besides, what is "too dry" anyway? There are many people that go to places like Cabo or Mazatlan in Mexico on vacation and many other similar places all around the world which are far drier than anything in CR. And there are other people that complain that other parts of CR are "too wet" during other parts of the year. I'm sure if you have a broad mind you'll find plenty to appreciate about the Guanacaste area no matter what time of year you go.

BTW, I've never dove in CR though I have in many other parts of the world. The area around the Guanacaste is supposed to be mainly pelagic in nature with mainly rays and sharks and underwater cliff dives and such. For reefs, with their more colorful fish, you might prefer the Caribbean coast near Cahuita, etc. While the diving off CR is supposed to be halfway decent from what I'm told, it is not known for diving the way some other areas in Central America are. In particular, you might want to look into one of the Cayes off of Belize (Ambergris or Caulker) or one of the Bay Islands off of Honduras (Roatan or Utila). The latter two are particularly well known for having very inexpensive but high quality scuba programs (open water - basic and advanced, wreck diving, cave diving, night diving, photography, etc. etc. you name it)

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

"We are considering Occidental Papagayo in Manzanillo Beach. Is that Northern or Southern do you know? I tried mapping it but had no luck..."

That's because Playa Manzanillo is not on most maps. It is one of those beaches that have been taken over by the huge All-Inclusive resorts that are popping up all over that area (and IMHO despoiling its character). However, to answer your question, it is not really northern OR southern but central being located in the area due west of the airport in Liberia (only 30 minutes away), which probably has as much to do with all the recent development in that area as anything special about the beaches. The big clue, should have been the "Papagayo" not the "Manzanillo". Papagayo refers to that whole gulf area ranging from the Santa Rosa Peninsula in the north to Punta Gorda in the south, or more basically from Playa Ocotal in the south to Playa Panama in the north (and including nearby Playa Coco and Playa Hermosa).

BTW, I don't know of much else north of Playa Panama due to poorer road access, though I'd imagine it is just as nice just harder to get to. On the other side of the Santa Rosa Peninsula you start to get more beaches such as near the famous Witches Rock but my impression is that area is more of a surfing mecca than one for diving (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Heading south from the Papagayo area there are actually 3 Playa Manzanillas that you can find on the map but I doubt any of those are the ones you're referring to. The first one is about halfway to Playa Samara on the middle of the Nicoya coast, in the middle of nowhere really, and very hard to get to. The second one is actually in the Puntarenas Province on the southern tip of the Nicoya Peninsula just north of Sta Teresa and Mal Pais and also very hard to get to. And the last one is all the way over on the Caribbean coast near the border with Panama, ie about as far as you can get from Liberia in CR, and is actually not a bad area for diving, unless you're into AI's.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: April is dry, but is it too dry?

Wow, great info- thanks. I had just meant 'too dry' as in drought kind of dry. I am a prairie girl and in my town if it's 'too dry' it means wild fires and cracks in the ground and burned lawns.

I think we have decided on Cozumel or Maui as recommended by our dive instructor. Thanks for all Costa Rica info and we will visit it someday for sure.