We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria and cost of living

Portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Topic
Malaria and cost of living

Trying to decide where to go for holiday (assuming passport will arrive!)....... Costa Rica seems a possibiltiy but..

1. Do we have to take Malaria tablets?

2. What is cost of living like - price of a fish meal in a reasonable restaurant and the price of a beer?

3. Is the Occidental Allegro Papagayo near to any villages etc that you can walk to?

Thanks

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria and cost of living

No you don't have to take malaria pills. Has been oft-discussed here, do a search for all the replies. The consensus is most people don't take them as malaria is rare and not prevelant in tourist areas. Do, though, wear mosquito spray with deet as there is nothing you can take to prevent dengue.

In a small soda, the price of a fish casado will run you about $3-$4, a little more in a more restaurant type place. Imperial will run you about $1-$2.

JMO, I don't suggest AI's in CR as there are so many nicer places to stay in CR and they are somewhat insulating. And I especially wouldn't rec the Allegro with all it's recent problems.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria and cost of living

Hi there- I see that someone replied to your e mail so that is good. I maybe should not write this as I am the First Choice Rep at the Allegro. We have had problems here but the hotel is running at 50 percent full and the Authorities continuosuly inspect the hotel. Our guests have put notes on here and have loved the people etc. but we are not near a village and in a remote part of the Gulf. Most of our hotels are AI and the most built up area is Tamarindo and the hotel there Barcelo Langosta is quite close to the town. It is a bit americanised but can walk along the beach etc. Another way to maybe look at visiting Costa Rica is to try and book a flight called Costa Rican traveller-this is for flight and 1 first nights accommodatyion and then you can travel around. There are many hotels listed on trip advisor etc that may fit the bill. Here is very green at the moment and a unique place. The lonely planet guide etc sometimes helps our travellers. Our website www.firstchoice.co.uk may help but if I camn help at all let me know.

Pura Vida as we say here-PURE LIFE

JB

3. Re: Malaria and cost of living

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 02:19