We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beaches in Costa Rica?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best beaches in Costa Rica?

Anyone have an opinion on Nicoya Peninsula vs. Pacific Beaches further south (Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Uvita, etc). I have 4 days to spend and originally was going to try and hit both, but now realize that will be way too much traveling time.

I am going with my boyfriend - neither of us are surfers and prefer more quaint, chill "local" places as opposed to the high end resorts. We are also more of snorkelers/hikers/etc than surfers and not interested in being in super touristy spots.

We are looking for beautiful, secluded beaches (I know - this is alot to ask!) and understand they will be different from the Caribbean.

Any help/advice you could pass on would be much appreciated!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

Playa Conchal is widely regarded as one of the best beaches in this part of the country. You can access it from Playa Brasilito, a smaller beach town a few minutes walk to the north which would seem to suit your needs. A twenty minute drive further to the north, in the Potrero area, you will find beautiful secluded beaches such as Penca, Dante, Sugar Beach and more.

www.brasilito.com

www.conchalcr.com

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

Not sure about best beaches, but I agree with diver7 that that Flamingo/Potrero area has beautiful beaches and fits your description for privacy, snorkeling, and a quaint community.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

www.playamontezuma.net great beach small town

www.ylangylangresort.com very nice like the tents.

or

www.manuelantoniopark.com

www.loposadajungle.com

more folks still nice chill vibe

or

www.pachamamacaribe.com

Have fun,

Punta Uva bet Carib beach.

California
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

Some of my favorites:

Playa Avellanas: Beautiful beach with good surfing, swimming, walking. Eat at Lola's. Stay at Cabinas las Olas.

Playa Guiones (Nosara): Harmony Hotel. Good restaurant and close to many others. Just steps to beautiful beach.

Playa San Miquel/Playa Coyote: 10km of beautiful beach. No crowds. Eat and stay at the Flying Scorpion on San Miquel.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

So many great beaches. I would not try to visit too many of them - most of the beaches will be beautiful and offer a lot of activities.

I will add Samara as a nice one in the Nicoya Penn. that is smaller/less-touristy than MA & Tamarindo.......if you want a more rustic/quaint Costa Rica. Check out the Treehouse there.

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

People say Manuel Antonio (MA) is "touristy" - perhaps to Costa Ricans it is but not from someone from the US where I think of touristy as Miami Beach - hotel after hotel and person after person. I adored MA and was amazed at going into the National Park and sitting on beach #1 and #2 with no one around, just me and my husband. It was breath taking, calm, peaceful and safe. You can see pictures here - watch the video to see what I mean!! www.hollywoodwannab.blogspot.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

I beleive I answer you in another post! but anyway I think also you are getting great ideas from other great people!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

No question that MA, Tamarindo etc. are many times smaller than anything like Miami Beach, Acapulco, etc - they are small town by any U.S. standards.

It's the search for "local" places and "secluded" beaches that would send me to smaller towns like Samara, Nosara, Mal Pais, Montezuma, etc. I was in MA about 10 years ago and it was relatively quiet - but the last couple times I was there (1 & 2 years back) it was no longer a secluded location. This is good for some things (nightlife, nice restaurants, upscale hotels) but it was pretty hard to find a beach you would have to yourself, connect with one of the locals (who was not a tour guide) in a beach bar, etc..

I think for some folks, it might be good to try both one of the larger beach towns & one of the smaller remote ones.

9. Re: best beaches in Costa Rica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 13:16