We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving up the coast to Samara

Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
driving up the coast to Samara

Hi. I will be taking a ferry from Puntarenas to Nicoya and would like to drive up the coast to Samara. Is this possible in dry season (February)? Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving up the coast to Samara

Do iot by the main road...the coastal road is and can be iffi ...if you do not the road and some nasty rivers some times is better not to take chances...

roadadvisor

Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving up the coast to Samara

Thanks for the quick response. I read about people doing it last year and just wondered if there had been improvements. But I will take your advice and stick to the "normal" roads. Pura Vida.

California
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: driving up the coast to Samara

It is a beautiful drive along the coast. Just be careful with the rivers and you should be fine. You will need a 4X4. Look at : http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/

There are good maps and description there. Which ferry do you plan on taking? If you don't want to visit Mal Pais, Santa Teresa, etc, take the Playa Naranjo ferry. From there it is an easy drive to Jicarral and then to San Francisco de Coyote. There is a good local restaurant there called Loma Clara, I highly recommend it. From the restaurant you are 6km from Playa Coyote.

From Jicarral to Samara is dirt road except for the last few kms. Allow enough time to visit some of the beaches along the way, they are beautiful.

4. Re: driving up the coast to Samara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2011, 05:18