We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scorpions

usa
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
scorpions

Have heard from some people that at times there may be a scorpion or two in the hotel rooms , are they poisonous? How bad is the sting? Do people find them often? How do you treat a sting if you get one? Any other pesky critters to know about in rooms?

THANKS

On the road
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scorpions

Hello monkee,

Yup, there are scorpions in CR along with a variety of spiders and snakes and insects. There are scorpions in parts of the central valley and I am sure Nicoya, however, are not much to worry about as the sting is something along the lines of a bee sting. Just shake out your shoes and dont leave clothing on the ground.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scorpions

In 2000, while at Manuel Antonio during the rainy season, I got out of bed one night and stepped on a smallish 2 1/2 inch scorpion and received a sting. While stepping on it I felt what could be described as several quick jolts of electricity. When I walked on my foot it was very sore and tender for about the next 4 hours. After that my foot returned to normal and there was no pain associated.

I washed the sting area with the blue isopropyl alcohol available at groceries or drug stores.

By the way the critter lived and left merrily on its way to go outside.

Since then I've heard quite a number accounts of people getting stung and they had no ill effects a few hours later.

I should also add I been to MA about 15 times spending a total of over 180 days, almost all of it in the rainy season. It is in the rainy season that the scorpions prefer to come in to shelter from the rain.

This species of scorpions should not be confused with the African type that are supposed to be deadly.

Pura Vida'

Joe

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scorpions

Additionally, "shake out" anything that is damp ... beach and bath towels (don't leave them on the floor, scorpions love 'em!) and check your shower before you get in. Chances are you won't encounter one but it's good to be watchful of their favorite hangouts. Lisa

4. Re: scorpions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 06:21