We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Conchal or Riu

Which Playa Conchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Conchal or Riu

Have been to many all inclusive resorts, but this is the first time in Costa Rica. Trying to decide on Playa Conchal or the new Riu. Will be going the middle of March 2011. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each resort and compare to help me decide. Thank you, any advice would be appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

I like Paradisus Playa Conchal...mostly the beach...sooo nice at Conchal...food also is great...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

I agree, Playa Conchal, dont much like the RIU, they broke many environmental laws when building, bribed local officials, all for $$$. For me they are everything Costa Rica isn't, sad the protected mangroves they cut down in the name of aesthetics...

Best bet Paradisus Playa Conchal

Cheers

Inca

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

Totally agree with roadadvisor and inca. Definitely Paradisus Playa Conchal.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

There is no comparison - Conchal is the best by far.

Melbourne, Fl.
Level Contributor
81 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

We just spent December 2nd thru 7th at the Paradisus and it is awesome. What kind of vacation are you looking for? My only negative is the fact that the resort is secluded from the public beach. If you have in mind a vacation where you see the white sand and aqua water from your room-- book in the caribbean. We just vacationed in Aruba in October, so found Costa Rica to be a wonderful change-- we loved it and everything about the resort!!

michigan
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

Have been to many all inclusives so know what to expect. My only concern is some of the reviews say that the place is getting old and worn out. I hope this doesnt bother me. I usually book new resorts. Plan on taking alot of excursions to see the area.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

If you are looking for new, you might want to wait until this property changes hands in May 2011 as a Westin. This will be their first AI and i think they will be putting their best foot forward. No word on the official opening. I would guess late November '11 to catch the season.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

Thank you for the news...dweissnj

roadadvisor

Kent UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

We are just back from eleven days at Playa Conchal Royal Service and it was absolutely wonderful. Even I, who can find fault with most things, found it perfect. We have been to lots of all incs - Aruba, Antigua, Tobago, Grenada, Mauritius, St Lucia, Mexico and many non all incs around the world and found this hotel to be wonderful.

The food, the service and our room were all top grade.

I do not think we would stay anywhere but the Royal Service part of the hotel but walking around the other part it looked fine. Nowhere looked tired.

L

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Conchal or Riu

So happy to hear such great reviews about Playa Conchal. My husband and I booked a trip with our two teenage sons the week of April 16-23. We also heard that the hotel was being taken over by the Westin in May. We were very nervous about how the service will be and hoping for a smooth transition from one owner to the next. If anyone feels that we should cancel and book another place, please let us know, thank you.

amy