We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

Which Playa Conchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

Want to know the real time of transport and the experience.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

I haven't stayed there but I can answer your question.... A private transfer from SJ will take 4-5 hours. With a shared shuttle, add an hour. You can fly over to the Tamarindo airport on either Nature Air or Sansa - flying time is about 45 minutes and a 15-20 minute taxi ride to the resort.

Better to fly into Liberia airport (LIR) if you're staying at Conchal. Drive time is only one hour. You'd need to have quite a significant price difference in your airfare cost arriving into SJ in order to balance out the transportation costs to get from SJ to Conchal.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

Well, when researching, I found the "can't get there from here sort of thing" from alot of airlines. Flying from Tampa, we either were looking at airport overnight layovers, or a big price difference and very limited flights. Ended up booking on spirit air, and with the ground transportation was still $300 less than anything else I found that flew into liberia.

Guess we'll see the country by tour bus. Hope they stop for beer and bathroom breaks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

Some good shuttle companies...Interbus...Gray Line...of course they will stop for pit stops...I do not think they will stop to buy beer...that is most a private transfer service...some people may be offended on a shuttle service...having somebody drinking next to them!

roadadvisor

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

Well being on vacation and going to an all inclusive resort if you don't drink may be a waste of money. However, I'm willing to do whatever the other person sitting next to me on a transfer bus is willing to do to have fun and enjoy the experience. They are other ways to have fun than just drinking, but we're not really talking about getting stinking or beligerant here are we? I'm just thinking a beer or two might just be in order to take the edge off after a day of flying, and then facing a 4.5 hour bus ride. If someone is disgusted with that, well then we'd just tie them on the roof for the rest of the ride. :)

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

As long as you're not the driver, I'll have a beer with you.

New Orleans
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

Hi! I live in Reserva Conchal full time. If you are flying into San Jose to save a little money, don't do it. It's not worth it. There's traffic, dangerous roads and it's going to take a chunk out of your vacation to do it. If you hire a bus, all saved money will do to the shuttle. If you are looking to save a little money, try flying direct from Denver to Liberia. So whereever your location is, get to Denver and go with Frontier Airlines, (starting Feb 13th).

If you are in no rush and are just looking to see the country, hope the new road is open and you will get the beauty of a lifetime. If the new road is closed for some reason, it's bus after bus in stop and go traffic from San Roman for a while. 5 hrs. but as you get within 2 or 3 hrs from the resort you will pass a fantastic bridge given to the people of Costa Rica from Taiwan and breathtaking countryside.

7. Re: Anyone flew into San Jose and stayed in Playa Choncal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2012, 05:22