We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Westin Playa

Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Westin Playa

I noticed from some photos that it seems the beach at the Westin is a ways off from the rooms and resort grounds. Are there any rooms that would have an oceanview?

I keep hoping the price drops so I can book a room at the Westin. We are planning a trip in September (8-15).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

Yes, the beach can be a 5 minute walk from your room depending on the type of room you book. The closest to the beach are the Royal Beach Jr Suites that are alsmost ocean front. None of their rooms have ocean view.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

The walk is only a couple of minutes but not too far at all...The resort will put out chairs and umbrellas for you for free. Just ask the tour desk or employee at the beach entrance. Beautiful resort and great place to vacation...just don't forget the bug spray.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

It seems odd at first, but you get used to it ...

The beach is not part of the property of the resort. The beach is public. You walk through a security gate to get to and from the beach (you will be wearing a color-coded bracelet during your stay, so it's not like you need to show ID, the unobtrusive guards can see from a distance whether or not you are permitted on the grounds of the resort). The beach has local vendors, but also local residents going there for, well, a day at the beach!

It's wonderful, it's beautiful, it's safe.

Edited: 02 June 2012, 02:38
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,494 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

So nice to tell people that not a single beach in my country is PRIVATE...all of them to be enjoy by us natives and visitors...

The walkig to the beach from the pools maybe 45 seconds...

Conchal was called like that for my ancestors...for a simple reason...Conchal means shells the beach at Conchal is made out of billions of pieces of shells...

In my personal opinion one of the best beaches we have in our country!

roadadvisor

Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

Thanks for the help. We are looking at going to the Westin in September. I will look into the Royal upgrade. Does the upgrade include anything else other than a better room?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

In fact, the rooms aren't better (except for a few of them) . You get a private pool, private restaurant, concierge service, and a kid-free zone. But, the Non-Royal renovated rooms in the original part of the resort are bigger, and now, refurbished.

Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

Is the private pool, restaraunt, and concierge service worth $1400? How close it the concierge service to butler service? In bahamas, we had 2 butlers and they carried cell phones and provided us with a cell phone to call them whenever we needed anything. They took care of everything for us.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

Only you can decide if it's worth it. You will find lots of people on TA that swear by the Royal Service. Personally, I wouldn't ever pay that amount for what you get. And I like the main pool much better.

For $1,400 I can get a week for 2 at an all-inclusive in Cuba. So, I'll make my own dinner reservations and put up with a few kids in exchange for that.

Guanacaste
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

The beach at the Westin Costa Rica is among the jewels of these country.

1. Cahuita.

2. Manuelantonio.

3. Playa Carate Corcovado.

4. Playa Nosara

5. Playa grande.

6.Playa langosta

7. Playa Zancudo

8. Playa Conchal ( the Westin)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,494 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach at Westin Playa

For some reason my ancestors call that beach CONCHAL...the beach is millions of tiny shell pieces!

roadadvisor

Get answers to your questions about Playa Conchal