We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

At the end of July we are going to stay at the Westin for 5 nights and at Leaves and Lizards by Arenal for 3 nights. We will be traveling with our two children - ages 5 and 9. While at the Westin, we will have other family members around (Grandma and cousins).

Can someone please give me some insight as to what we should try to do while out at the beach verses while we are at Arenal (La Fortuna)? We planned on renting a car the entire trip and tend to be adventurous - even with the kids along. The children are used to traveling and being out in nature. We love to go explore and try different things. BUT I'm trying to decide what we should do where or if there are some things we should do without the children (which would mean doing them from the Westin.)

Any advice would be really helpful. Also, with having the rental car, do we really need to book through a tour company? We aren't much on shared transportation or having to be on someone else's schedule, which is why we just rented a car. But if there is a real advantage, then we will book through someone.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

Save all the adventure stuff for Arenal and enjoy the Palo Verde river boat tour while in Conchal. You can drive to the restaurant that serves as tour HQ. visit http://www.paloverdeboattours.com/ they provide good driving directions and GPS coordinates. Lots of tour operators will drive you there as well, if you change your mind.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

David- Since this is our first trip (and I see that you are from NJ, not CR), I have another opinion question... I've read that the minimum age to go ziplining is 5. Our 5 year old is a pretty big guy and wants to go. Is it really safe to go when they are that little? He's about 4 feet tall, 48 lbs...

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

BTW- my menttion that David was from NJ, not CR, wasn't meant as anything offensive. We travel quite a bit and I just know that safety standards (especially where it applies to children) vary a lot from country to country. Hence the comment... before I get in trouble!

Canada
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

While I would say that some safety standards are lower than North America (like big holes in the sidewalk for example) this is not the case when it comes to tourism based adventure activities. Every operator I have ever dealt with, (whether it is a canopy tour or white water rafting or whatever) has taken safety very seriously. In your case they will strap your son securely to one of the guides who will do a tandem zip line. He will have a blast.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

Thanks for the reassurance! I think we may try the Congo Trail near Playa Conchal with the entire family (10 of us with ages ranging from 5 to 77). It seems to get good reviews as being appropriate for a wide age range. Then try the Palo Verde river while we are out at the beach too. Then up by Arenal there are lots of fun options too! Thanks again.

If anyone has any additional input... we don't leave for a week!

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

As we say in NJ 'fagetaboutit' . The Congo is a great place and the ride up there from Conchal is via the infamous 'monkey trail'. The also have some other good exhibits and a cage where you can watch the monkeys pick the pockets of all who enter.

7. Re: Playa Conchal- best day trips vs. Arenal Area-PLEASE HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:19