We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distance

Omaha, Nebraska
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walking distance

I have a friend that is getting married at the Westin in Playa Conchal but we are staying at the Flamingo in Guanacaste. Does anyone know if you can walk from Flamingo to the Westin? And if not, is there cab services or water taxis? What is the distance between the two? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Conchal
Playa Conchal
1,137 Reviews
Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,263 Reviews
Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica
ConchalFun
Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours, Equipment Hire
Surf & SUP Conchal
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Playa Mina
Beaches, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distance

It's about a 8 to 10 minute drive, but you can't walk it. A cab should be 10 bucks or less. No problem getting a cab.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
203 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distance

You can not walk . The distance is 3 km or 10 minutes drive

Taxi will coast you $20 round trip.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 03:38
Omaha, Nebraska
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distance

Thank you!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distance

Well...... I have to disagree. You CAN walk it! Or even ride a bike. But so easy just to get a taxi.

So yes, you can walk from Playa Conchal to Flamingo - it's not that far. But in the heat and humidity, you would need to be prepared to take a shower upon arrival (and maybe a little lie-down .......lol).

Mentioned in this post
Playa Conchal
Playa Conchal
1,137 Reviews
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,263 Reviews
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking distance

Certainly you can walk it. Anything can be walked as long as there is land connecting the two points. So, yes, it's possible. But not really sensible.

Taking all of the possible shortcuts (beach/back roads) from the Westin beach front to the Flamingo Marina resort, it's 6.6 kilometers. Factor in the average person's walking speed, walking on sand, heat, humidity, having to carry water and avoiding traffic, it's at least 1.5 hours and likely closer to 2 hours. And you're hot, sweaty and dirty when you arrive. And you still have to walk back.

So, yes, it's possible. But I wouldn't advise anyone to do it.

Mentioned in this post
Flamingo Marina Resort
Flamingo Marina Resort
132 Reviews
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking distance

So, according to your route, Rancho, it's about 4 miles. I live in Costa Rica and walk that far 2-3 times a week, carrying groceries home, uphill. Of course, I'm not stupid enough to walk that in the noonday heat/sun, preferring instead to go early morning or around sunset.

For some people, walking that far in the heat and humidity would be a problem. For others.... not so much.

Both my sons just finished marathons (in their 40's!) and would think nothing of walking that distance.

But, of course, to routinely walk from one to the other would get to be a bit much! If a fit walker or runner, it might be worth it to try it but for routine "back and forth" - better to use taxis.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 17:02
Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking distance

Hattie, these people are walking to a wedding. They will be dressed up. They're on vacation. And I gave the route that has them walking on the beach and on dirt back roads. To stay on the paved roads, it's 8.8 kilometers. And, the wedding is not likely in the early morning or after sunset.

I understand walking. I walked 3 miles to work and 3 miles back every weekday for many years.

But I'd never walk from Flamingo to Conchal. And certainly not to a wedding.

Mentioned in this post
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,263 Reviews
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking distance

Sorry, but I didn't read the post the same as you. They didn't specifically say they would be walking to the wedding and I didn't read that in it.

Of course, I did recommend using a taxi -- but disagree with people who say it is "unwise" or "impossible" to walk between the two. I also pointed out that it would be hot and humid, etc.

Your post, Rancho, makes me want to go to Playa Flamingo and walk to Playa Conchal. lol

Mentioned in this post
Playa Conchal
Playa Conchal
1,137 Reviews
Playa Flamingo
Playa Flamingo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking distance

Wave at me as I drive by. My walks end at the north end of Playa Brasilito. LOL

You're right. It's not impossible. Unwise depends on the time of day. Traffic on that stretch of road always moves very fast. I've driven it many, many times but hardly ever even see locals walking it. Cycling, yes.

You know, a water taxi might be a good idea for an enterprising local. They could shuttle people to Flamingo for lunch or dinner and back. Maybe at sunset? No charge for the idea.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Brasilito
Playa Brasilito
83 Reviews
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,263 Reviews
Omaha, Nebraska
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking distance

Thanks for your helpful posts! No need to cause an argument ;) I think a cab is our best bet! Thanks again!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Conchal