We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

Which Playa Conchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lafayette...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

Our family is 2 adults and 2 kids ages 8&9. We can't seem to get into the Westin because they are booked for families. :( What is the best alternative for the same experience? This will be for the tail end of our 9 day trip and my husband is picky. He's almost saying if we can't get the Westin, to stay at the Springs in Arenal for the whole trip. What to do? Also, any recs for families in either location is appreciated.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

How about Reserva Conchal?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

or Hotel Conchal, if you are looking for a more boutique-hotel type

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

JW Marriot Hotel at Pinilla ...incredible nice...

Spending the whole vacation at the Springs...no way Jose...!

roadadivsor

4. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 14:35
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

I just got back from the Westin, and honestly was so unimpressed I do not want to ever go back. My friend assures me that if I got back and stay at the Four Seasons where she stayed, I will fall in love with Costa Rica. So perhaps that could work for you?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

MunFam - sorry you were so unimpressed. The Westin is definitely the best AI in Costa Rica so you are obviously a discerning traveler.

As for "falling in love with Costa Rica" -- that really shouldn't be predicated on your lodging choice.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

"Discerning traveler". My tongue would still hurt if I had bitten it that hard, Hattie. Well done on taking the high road and keeping things pleasant.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

I guess I am really shocked that someone was "unimpressed" by the Westin and would never go back.

Still.... I'm waiting on someone to tell me why the new Papagayo Andaz is worth $800 a night - non AI.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

You'll be waiting a long time for someone to justify that price - or the Four Seasons, which runs $1,000 or more per night once you add in the taxes and the resort service charge of 10%.

The bottom line is that if you can afford those prices, you don't have to justify it to anyone. It is what it is.

For the cost of one night at the Andaz or the Four Seasons, I can get an all-inclusive (including nonstop return air) at a 4 star beachfront resort in Varadero, and still have money left over.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best alternative to Westin Playa Conchal?

The reasons I was unimpressed. My room smelled of dead animal and every 2 days they had to come in and "clean the air system". I got food poisioning twice in 11 days. I only ate at the resort as I was there working, so it could not have come from else where. The staff at the resort were very expecting of gratutities, and while I was willing and always gave gratuitites, I felt that they were dissatisfied with the amount I gave. Often just taking the money and walking out of the room (like room service delivery). Rarely a gracias or thank you. I felt that my personal items had been shuffled through on multiple occassions and started leaving everything locked up at all times. Oh, and the old safes can be opened up with a simple 1234#. The bellman at Reserva Conchal made that clear to one of our staff, although I was at the Westin the whole time.

Costa Rica was a beautiful country, but I definitely did not have the opportunity to fall in love with it the way I had hoped since my only experience was at the Westin and the airport. Additionally, I did not pay a cent for this trip since I was working, so money was not a deciding factor for me. I have stayed in 5 diamond resorts and road side motels. I feel that the Westin leaves a lot of room for improvement. High price tag or not.