We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Happy Valley-Goose...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Hi there. I'm trying to find out what kinds of attractions are near the Westin in Playa Conchal. I am extremely interested in participating in a hanging bridge hike but the only places I've found where they have these are Arenal and Monteverde provincial parks which, according to my research, are 3-4 hour drives away one way. So 6-8 hours of my day would be in a bus ride. Is this information correct? Are there any parks of any kind within an hour or so ride from The Westin? I really wanted to go into the rain and/or cloud forest.

I am also very interested in visiting an animal rescue sanctuary. I know of the Jaguar Rescue Centre in Playa Chiquita, but again it is just too far away to travel to (seven hours one way according to my research). Is there another animal rescue sanctuary closer to Playa Conchal?

Thank you for your assistance. :)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

1. Hanging bridges -- You can go to Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest in Bijagua. They are adjacent to the Tenorio National Park and have four canopy bridges. It's about 3 hours from Playa Conchal - whereas Arenal is about 4.5 hours and Monteverde is the same.

You're not using Google maps, are you? This is the best source of accurate information for Costa Rica: www.yourtravelmap.com

2. For animal rescue - you can go to Canas and visit Las Pumas Rescue Center.

In fact, you could just make a whole day of it:

-- Get an early start and head for Heliconias Lodge. The average amount of time on their trails is about 2 hours.

-- Drive back to Rt 1 and turn south towards Canas. About 2 miles from the turnoff, you will see Rincon Corobici restaurant on your left. (Its just past a bridge with a large metal framework). Tell them you want to do a float trip. Then --

-- Drive about 800 meters to Las Pumas and spend some time there seeing all the animals, etc.

-- Return to Rincon Corobici, do your float trip (about 2 hours) and have lunch which is included in the price of the float trip. If time gets away from you, tell them you want lunch first!

Then back to Playa Conchal which is a little over two hours from Rincon Corobici.

Happy Valley-Goose...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to pass along all that information!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
851 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Hi Hattie, I love this itinerary and am thinking we would like to do this trip from Tamarindo. I have a few questions for you. How long do you estimate the travel time to Heliconias Lodge? Then how far is it from Heliconias Lodge to Canas? Any idea how much the cost would be for the float and lunch? Are reservations not necessary? Thanks for all your great advice.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Great advice by Hattie…some delays on Pan Am Hwy since is under construction but not a big deal…

roadadvisor

Please enjoy our country as we natives do…and as we natives said…PURA VIDA have a nice trip!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

From Tamarindo to Rincon Corobici at Canas is just over two hours - maybe two hours and fifteen minutes. Something like that. For the float trip, you don't have to book ahead -- they just need about 20 minutes to get everything together. That's why I recommended stopping by to arrange your float trip and then spend some time at Las Pumas and return for the float trip. Las Pumas is about a mile from Rincon Corobici (it's be on your left, just past La Pacifica Hotel.)

From Tamarindo to Heliconias is about 3 hours. From Heliconias to Rincon Corobici is about 45 minutes.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Hola. We would like to have a beginner surf lesson but it does not look like surfing is big at Conchal. How far of a drive (South I assume) to get to a surf class and which beach/company should we make reservations with? Gracias.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Great surfing is nearby in Tamarindo and Playa Grande. Just 20-25 min away. For lessons, you can't do better than Matt at Point Break Surf http://www.pointbreaksurf.com/ If Matt can get my son up in just a few minutes, he can do it for anyone. With gopro on the board end, we have the proof!

8. Re: Attractions near The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2016, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Playa Conchal