We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

Frisco, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

We are staying at the Westin Playa Conchal in June. Wanting to do some plan ahead research on tours that might be fun for our family. (Canopy tours, river rafting). Can anyone recommend a website with a reputable company who does tours in that area?

Michigan
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

SIBU Tours .. read the reviews on TA. We have used them both years we visited CR and highly recommend them. There are many reputable tour companies , we were fortunate to have chosen them.

Frisco, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

Thank you! I'll check them out.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

We have always used Xplore Costa Rica, and have been very happy with their service. But you can also do a lot of exploring on your own, if you have a rental car. I'd recommend visits to Guachipelin, Palo Verde, and Guatil.

Frisco, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

We will be traveling with our two young daughters (ages 11 and 8). Seems like most of the excursions for cloud bridges, zip lining, watersfalls are several hours away. Is there anything cool to see like that nearby? Would you recommend renting a car? Perhaps driving to some of these places ourselves?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

Arenal and Monteverde (hanging bridges and cloud forests) are too far for a comfortable day trip from Conchal. The destinations I mentioned previously are within about an hour and a half drive from your hotel. There are also many towns and beaches you can visit that are close by, such as Brasilito, Flamingo, Portrero, Playa Grande, Tamarindo, and Playa Avellanas. A rental car makes these more convenient to visit, but you could take a taxi or book a van and driver if you don't want to drive yourself. Whether or not to rent a car depends on how comfortable you are with driving in a foreign country on unfamiliar and sometimes challenging roads. If you do decide to rent, be sure to check out the information available on this forum regarding recommended agencies in Costa Rica.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

May I add, Conchal is an easy drive to places like Flamingo, Potrero, Brasilito, Tamarindo. The Cortez falls are only a 90 minute drive, and a nice place to spend the day. As for tours, I prefer to deal with people directly, and there is no shortage of people looking to do tours. We didn't book anything in advance.....as for doing Arenal in a day....yes it is a long day, but very do-a-ble....but I'm talking leaving at 7am, and coming back at 11:30pm.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

You can travel just over an hour and do just about everything you can do in the Arenal area by visiting Rincon de la Vieja area. Hike, volcano, zip lines, canyoning, rafting, etc.

For me, spending 8 hours of a vacation day in a vehicle would be a "no brainer."

Plus - if you go to Arenal from the Conchal area, you will need to either go with an organized tour or hire a private driver since driving back at that time of night is really not feasible.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

We did hire a driver for our Arenal trip....as for the drive, it is long, but I enjoyed it....you go thru some nice areas, as well as other little towns. We stopped in Canas for some snacks....and for lunch when we were close to Arenal....stopped a couple of times around the lake....it never felt rushed....and while it was a long day, it was very enjoyable, even the driving part.

Michigan
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

I agree with Hattie; there is lots to do w/in a 2 hour range. The country side is beautiful and you can get a nice feel for your surroundings by venturing out only 1-2 hours. The town of Tamarindo is about 1/2 hour away and worth a visit to do some shopping, eat lunch, watch the surfers on the beach etc. You can get a taxi from the Westin and do this mini trip on your own.

We used a tour guide the first time we visited and then rented a car the next trip. I liked doing it that way b/c with a guide, you learn a lot about CR, don't have to worry about directions, and can be relaxed. Renting a car was great the second visit and gave us freedom to return to places we liked and explore new areas.

I like having my excursions booked before leaving home , esp. if you are on a time frame of only a week or so. We did 3 excursions and alternated these with days at our rental to enjoy the beach, pool, etc. We did Palo Verde boat tour with lunch and a hot springs/mud bath/hike near Rincon de la Vieja , that I think kids would enjoy.

If you work with a tour company mention to them where you are staying, ages of kids, etc. and they will tailor things to fit your needs.

Frisco, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family tours from Westin Playa Conchal

We looked into it and are seriously considering renting a car. The cost if the ride from Liberia to the Westin is $90 each way- we can rent a car at the airport for that and have it all week. Having a car would be useful to visit the nearby towns mentioned. What about driving to Cortez Falls or Rincon de la Vieja area? Good idea? Bad idea? (We are fairly seasoned travelers and have rented cars in other countries before). Even if we ONLY use the rental to and from airport it really wouldn't be an additional expense. First time visitors to CR driving around on their own? Is it safe?

Get answers to your questions about Playa Conchal