We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Have been scouring the web for buses from San Jose airport to Playa del Coco, and it tells me I need to go to Avenida 5, Calles 10/12. I land that day at 06:55. First, is the bus station near the airport, I hear the first bus is at 08:00, is that correct and if so does it give me enough time to get it? Second, if I miss that bus, is the airport near the main part of the city, for example could I get some food and a beer without straying too far from the bus stop.

Flying just seems a little too expensive for me, and don't know if it's worth hiring a car. Is there a shuttle bus that runs from the airport to Cocos, I'm happy to spend $20 if there is.

Any response would be great, as usual I have left this all to last minute.

Cheers

Tom

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Doubt you would make the 8 am bus but you could take the hourly bus to Liberia and then it is a 2-3 block walk to the Liberia-Coco bus. The 8 am gets into Coco shortly after 1 pm normally. Cost is less than $7. The 8 am bus stops in Alajuela at 8.30 am at the bus terminal known as the radial which is a short taxi ride from the airport. You might make that if the flight is on time and all goes well with customs.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Good advice at prior post...I also doubt it that you will make it to the 8am bus...not possible!

roadadvisor

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Thanks for the advice, will probably try the hourly Liberia bus in that case, is the bus stop within walking distance of San Jose airport / where do I pick it up? Once I get to Liberia is it clear where the transfer to Coco is?

cheers

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

The airport SJO is not in San Jose but in the next town - Alajuela. You can get the bus in Alajuela for Liberia and on to Playas del Coco.

Take a taxi from the airport and tell the driver you want to go to "La Radial." This is the name of the bus station in Alajuela. It will take about 5 minutes and should cost no more than 1500 colones. Tell the gentlemen at the airport as you exit that you want a taxi so take the "official" orange taxi.

The Pulmitan bus to Liberia goes about every hour. Check the schedule -- www.thebusschedule.com - and add about 20 or 30 minutes to the time it leaves San Jose. This is when it will arrive in Alajuela at La Radial.

You will pay the driver in colones so be sure to get some colones before you leave the airport.

La Radial is newish, clean, with a small convenience store and restrooms and a security guard. Other vendors may be there selling fresh fruit, newspapers, etc.

Once you arrive in Liberia (about 4 hours - one rest stop), it is easy to get the bus to Playas del Coco. Get off the bus when it stops at the traffic light on the highway. Walk across the highway and on your right (behind the Church's Chicken) you will see a bus stop. Wait here for the bus for Playas del Coco. There are lots of restaurants and shops around this area if you need a break or something to eat.

From Alajuela to Liberia will be about 3000 colones or about $6.

Edited: 25 March 2011, 12:56
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Sorry - when you check the schedule for the bus to Liberia, look for San Jose to Liberia, not Alajuela to Liberia. Then add the time it takes to get from San Jose to Alajuela and that's what time it will arrive in Alajuela.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Awesome advice, thanks you so much, that has been printed and put with my passport!

Just one thing, will it be clear when I have to get off the bus at Liberia, on the highway and set of traffic lights......

Cheers

Tom

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

It may be a little confusing as it is a busy corner. If you a worried take the bus into the station and walk the short distance to the local terminal from where the coco bus leaves. Great advice from above posters tho.

San Jose
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Check http://www.horariodebuses.com/ for information on buses schedules, but yes they leave every hour to Playas del Coco.

The bus leaves from San Jose, you can a taxi and tell the driver to take you to the "Estacion de buses de Playas del Coco" they stop also at the airport if is more convinient for you. When you arrive to Playas del Coco basically you are there, you don't have to go to Liberia and cross any highway, don't worry.

If you would like to be more comfortable take a shared shuttle, normally it cost around $40, depends on the company, check for example: transportationincostarica.com/shuttles/san-j…

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

Tom- it will be clear. At the traffic light intersection, there is a McDonalds on one corner, a bank opposite, across the highway from the bank is a gas station and across from that, a fast food cluster that includes Burger King and Church's Chicken. Behind the gas station is a shopping center. Behind the fast food cluster is a bus stop - there is a bench and it is covered so hard to miss.

As you get closer to Liberia, you will start to see a lot of signs. Just before the bus stops, the highway breaks into four or five lanes. You will see Hotel Boyeros on your right. The bus stops just past here.

Edited: 25 March 2011, 19:42
carrollton
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer from San Jose to PD Cocos

The Liberia airport is about 20 minutes from Coco. You could catch a taxi for about $35. Be sure to confirm the price with them for where you are going before you load into the cab. I don't recall any restaurants or bars near the airport.

San Jose airport is another story. It's a couple of hours drive.

Edited: 25 March 2011, 21:24