We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from coast vs going inland

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
day trips from coast vs going inland

All this planning has my head swimming! Heres my ?

Going to either coco ot tamarindo for few days of diving. If we rent a condo late dec, we'll have to stay 7 days, meaning inland visits of hiking etc would be day trips.

Other option is staying in inexpensive hotel for 4-5 nights and taking couple days to work our way to sjo for flight out. Hotel will not be as aesthetically pleasing to save $.

Any opionions are appreciated! thx

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

Maybe split your vacation time...Arenal can be a good alternative then to Tamarindo...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

Why would you think an inexpensive hotel would be "less aesthetically pleasing?" There are many smaller Costa Rican hotels that are built with local woods, have beautiful gardens and very comfortable. They may not have all the "geegaws" of a condo but still excellent for vacation. If you are "stuck" with renting a condo for a minimum of 7 days, I would skip it.

As roadadvisor said, split your time between the beach and the Arenal area. Or split your time between the beach and Rincon de La Vieja. www.arenal.net or www.rincondelavieja.net Both of the volcano locations have similar activities but the Arenal area offers more.

There are several nice places to stay in Playas del Coco without renting a condo. Check here at Trip Advisor for Playas del Coco and you can come up with a good list.

Tamarindo is more upscale and expensive with a lot of good restaurants. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

Thanks for your info. Sorry about the aesthetically pleasing line and don't mean to ruffle feathers. I am sure there are lots of great hotels in CR and the statement was more an issue with spouse, but no need to go into that here--better saved for therapist. Anyway, any time experiencing Costa Rica will be great, just working out details. Thanks again!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

Please feel free to ask any question any time here at the forum...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

travelinman2: Understand about the "aesthetically pleasing" thing - good luck with that therapy! hahaha

And as roadadvisor said - ask your questions anytime and we will try to help you.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
595 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

Diving is great here out of Coco. I have never been out of Tamarindo, so I can't tell you about operations down there. I did my open water through divemaster certifications here through Ocotal Resort, around the Golfo de Papagayo.

Great dive sites are punta argentina, punta gorda, trips to Catalinas Island, which is accessible from Tamarindo.

In Playa Hermosa, (over the hill from Coco...10 minutes away,) there is Diving Safaris; http://www.costaricadiving.net/trips.htm

In Coco there is also several dive operations to choose from like Summer Salt, Rich Coast and Deep Blue.

If I were you, I would start in Playa Hermosa or Coco and do your diving at the beginning of the trip, then go to Arenal for a couple nights. Maybe 3 nights here, 3 nights in Arenal, then over to San jose for the last night to catch your departing flight.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

Try some adventure activities at Rincón de la Vieja area, close from where you will be, if you are into this kind of activities this is the area, take advantage that you are close by.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

Rincon is nice. It is about a 90 minute drive from Coco. Zip lining and white water tubing were great. I have heard that the quality of tubing is very much a function of the season. We were there 7-19 so in the rainy season when water is up.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

Coco is well located and lots of things to do.

Tamarindo is more active and lots of places to go to eat.

Both choices are good.

If you want to dive in Coco ask for Rich Coast.

For day trips ask for Alejandro at info@kingdomtourscr.com or Minor at toursyourway@gmail.com

Vineland, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trips from coast vs going inland

If you're staying in either Coco or Tamarindo and haven't yet booked your flight, you might want to look into being able to fly in and out of Liberia. I've found it much more convenient.