We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

I have been to Costa Rica 3 times but have always stayed in San Jose or Jaco. I am returning to CR again in mid January but this time I am flying into Liberia and wish to see a different part of the Country. I enjoy the beach and nightlife such as bars/restaurants. I also may go deep sea fishing and canopy ziplines. Would appreciate some helpful advice on these mentioned activities and how you would rate the differences between staying in Playas de Coco or Playa Hermosa so I can determine which location would better suit my desires. Also I could not get any rate quotes on the Hotel Finnestera for some reason, is there a problem there? Regards, Steve J.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

If you stay at Playas del Coco you would stay right in town with many restaurants, bars smoe shops etc. Playa Hermosa is GUANACASTE is a 5-10 minute drive to Playas del Coco

Mentioned in this post
Playas del coco
Playas del coco
245 Reviews
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

Thank you for your prompt reply. I would appreciate if you or anyone else could provide me with more specifics on the bars/restaurants, nightlife, beach differences, etc. Once I determine which location has the most to offer me I can decide on which location and hotel to stay.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

Playa Hermosa is much quieter and smaller and I do think that Playas del Coco would work well for you. You can stay close to town or a bit out from town.

Take a look here anywherecostarica.com/destinations/playa-del… also www.guanacastecostarica.com for more information on Playas del Coco.

Mentioned in this post
Playas del coco
Playas del coco
245 Reviews
Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

I agree Playas del Coco would be the place to go for you

Mentioned in this post
Playas del coco
Playas del coco
245 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,256 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

If you like to party a little and more restaurant options COCO´s is the place...if you like a nice long beach...most of the time with nice waves Playa Hermosa...also not that many people like COCO´s

roadadvisor!

Edited: 16 September 2011, 23:19
L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

thank you all for your additional comments and advice. I will check out the websites mentioned. Regards, Steve

Donegal;PA
Level Contributor
325 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

We stayed in Hermosa last year. The beach area is great but it is a quiet type of town and there is not a lot going on as far as nightlife. Coco is about a 10 minute drive but the town is filled with bars & restuarants and there is defintely more going on for entertainment options. I will say that the beach area in Hermosa was wondeful and, in my opinion, much nicer than the beach at Coco. However it may be best for you to stay in Coco as you may not want to make even a short drive (if you are renting a car) after a night of partying. You can always visit the beaches of Hermosa during the daytime.

L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed additional comments which will help me evaluate the 2 locations. Thank you for taking your time to do so. Regards, Steve J.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
688 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playas de Coco vs Playa Hermosa

For you guys I would also say Playas Del Coco.

My new favorite restaurant here is La Dolce Vita. It has been here several years but a super nice couple from Italy recently bought it and their food is amazing!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g309243-…

Other favorite restaurants of mine are Maria Bonita (or Casa Bonita) Mexican food that you'll pass on the way in to Hermosa or Coco.

In Coco on the main road is Milanes, another fave of mine....great for seafood and local cuisine.

Both Hermosa and Coco are nice beaches, but Coco has way more restaurants, shops for souvenirs, banks for withdrawing cash and markets for groceries. Hermosa has a little market called Luperon and a few restaurants, one being Ginger that is great. Another is La Finisterra, love their food, and El Pescado Loco, a local Tico restaurant that has the best ceviche.

From either beach you can learn about local tours and boat trips. You can also read reviews about some here on TripAdvisor, like my friend's sport fishing charter the Marlin Negro.

http://www.marlinnegrofishingtours.com/

From either beach you can do day trips to Rincon de la Vieja for hiking, canopy tour, horseback riding and all that.

You can rent a car to get around or hire tour operators to pick you up and take you there.

Mentioned in this post
Playas del coco
Playas del coco
245 Reviews
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews