We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Rented a condo for the first week of March. We are travelling with another couple and two children who are truly excited about going to Costa Rica. Coco was "highly" recommended as great family destination. Please tell me the things and places we "just have to see" and the best operators to talk with. We love the outdoors, the wildlife and trying new food. Is there a aprticular volcano or fishing/boating tour we should do?

MAny thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

From Playas del Coco, you can visit any of four National Parks - Santa Rosa, Rincon de la Vieja, Tenorio or Palo Verde and Miravalles Volcano as well. www.costarica-nationalparks.com

Rincon de la Vieja - hiking the trails, including a hike to the top of the volcano

waterfalls, mud pots, hot springs Nearby, there are also activities such as zip lines - check Hacienda Guachipelin

Santa Rosa - visit La Casona, an old farmstead/museum that features prominently in Costa Rican history. Walk the trails there - possibly take the longish trail that leads to a deserted beach.

Palo Verde - take a boat tour down the Tempisque River through Palo Verde National Park.

Tenorio - hike to the Rio Celeste; beautiful blue river with huge waterfall. Great whitewater rafting on the nearby Rio Tenorio.

Miravalles - www.volcanoadventuretour.com You can also make arrangements to visit the geo-thermal electricity generating plant that uses the volcano to generate electricity.

Of course, there are many water-based activities in the area including a snorkeling trip or sunset trip with the Sea Bird sailboat or with Marlin del Rey and fishing trips.

Some tour operators include: Maleku Tours, Papagayo Vargas Tours and Xplore Costa Rica.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
628 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

You MUST see manta rays and sea turtles and dolphins and humpback whales!! See our public online photo albums; https:/…117118939263283066575

If you bring your own masks and snorkels and are renting a car, you could go snorkeling off local beaches like Ocotal and Bahia Pez Vela.

I love Rincon de la Vieja, like Hattie suggested. You can do guided hikes or full day trips that involve hiking, horseback riding, waterslide, canopy tour, hot springs, etc.

Rio Celeste is one of my favorite hikes I have ever done.

People rave about the Palo Verde tour too. I need to go do that myself one of these days.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Thanks to both of you...Rincon de la Vieja and Palo Verde Boat Tour sound like things we woujld really enjoy!

Playas del Coco
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

March 1 to 4 we are organizing a big festival called SEE OUR SEA.

We will have lots of activities going on near the beach and we are trying to raise money to protect the sharks. So join us and enjoy some of the local bands, seminars and movies

seeoursea.org

patjenran@msn.com
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Several people have told us the snorkeling in Costa Rica is not very good. Is that the truth?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Just back from Coco. Stayed in friends condo 1/2 between Coco and Ocotal. Very nice. Driving is a bit challenging. Be prepared to forego stop signs, speed limits, double lines, etc., and just go with the flow.  Watch out for pedestrians, bikes, motorscooters (often with 3-4 people on them), dogs, bikes and every manner of distraction. Push your mirrors in when you park!

Didn't snorkel. Ran out of time. Did a great ATV trek with Papayago ATV just outside of Coco on the way to Hermosa at the Beach Bar Restaurant. Great trail. Also, did a great river trek with lots of monkeys and crocodiles.

If you need a guide, I would suggest Jaime Pozuelo – colorido34@hotmail.com or 8348 7754. Very knowledgeable, friendly and honest. Mention the crazy Canadian who really wanted a machete to take home!

On the dining front, we had great experiences with a little find kind called Picant. It's on the way to Ocotal (access through a gated community on the left) up a windy, steep hill, then back down.  Great setting overlooking pool, beach.  Great food, staff, prices and amazing atmosphere. Similar with Citron,  La Dolce Vita, and Pisces. Our first night ended up at la Vida Loca.  Very surprised to hear Donny Walsh from the Downchild Blues Band play (Canada).  On the beach, very laid back, great setting and inexpensive beer.  Doesn’t get any better. 

On shopping.  Lots of grocery stores around.  Prices seemed to vary

widely.  If you want something from a convenience store, I suggest you support the locals and buy from the “Octopus” stores (named because kids come in with their hands all out for candy).  Very reasonable. 

Enjoy your stay. Bring bug spray for your ankles at night when outside. Midges, noseeums, mosquitos whatever you want to call them can be a nuisance. We did not get any bites. Some of the outdoor restaurants had spray available.

Neptune City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Snorkeling In Manual Antonio was perfect! I know youre staying pretty far north of that area. Let me know what MUST SEE's you find. Ill being traveling to Playa Del Coco in April alone so Id love to know what you found most exciting!

Quitman, Texas
Level Contributor
142 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Could you give any more directions to Picante Restaurant? Would like to check it out. Thanks.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Restaurants, La Finisterra in Playa Hermosa, Dolce Vita in Coco, as for Snorkel: contact Brenda at Rich Coast Diving, on main street in Coco, she will assist you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa del Coco - Things we MUST see

Sure. Drive through Playa coco, turn to Ocatel (large grocery store across from fish restaurant) wind your way up through narrow but paved roads. Proceed through gated community on left (ask if in doubt). About 4 KMS. Picant located in Bahia Pez Vela. Wind your way up. Doesn't look like locn for restaurant. Great scenery. Narrow & windy. Follow signs & turn rt & back down. Bring bathing suits as nice beach & pool. Tell the waiter I'm still waiting for my visa credit. They put it through as $1100 instead of $100. I'm sure accidental but DO check your receipt. Superb food wine & ambience. Enjoy

Ryan Guthrie - rgu3@live.ca